Chapter 12

Jasmyn to the side ---------->

----------

Chapter 12

“It's a long shot. You think we'll make it?”

“Yeah, it is a sketchy plan. But if we time it right, it should work out.”

Asuka and Brett sat next to each other on the bed, poring over the map to the school. They had been there for about twenty minutes, but they were still trying to find a place for their… private endeavors.

“What are you two lovebirds up to?”

Brett looked up quickly and saw Heath and Lexi walk into his room. He raised an eyebrow. “Lovebirds? Really, Heath?”

Heath just shrugged.

“Yeah, whatever,” Lexi interrupted. “The main inquisition was what you guys are doing.”

“Taking initiative,” Asuka said as her blush finally disappeared. “Elaine said we need to learn to use and control our powers ourselves. This is us doing that.”

“So the map's to find a place to practice,” Heath said. “Somewhere no-one hangs out.”

“Wow,” Lexi marveled. “You do have a few brain cells after all.”

“I can be the smart guy,” Heath said, grinning broadly. It faded though a second later. “But I can't think straight when Jason's around.”

“Guess you're gonna have to get used to that.”

None of them in the room had said it. The voice had been much too deep, in any case. The four of them turned their attention to the source of the voice, and saw Jason standing in the doorway.

“I really hoped you wouldn't come back,” Heath sighed.

“Heath!” Asuka exclaimed.

“What?” he whined petulantly. “Okay, maybe not for a week.”

“I don't blame you,” Jason muttered. “I haven't given you much reason to miss me. Truth is…” He trailed off, frowning and his eyes going out of focus. “I'm not really used to having people around. I've always been fending for myself. I guess that's why I was pushing you guys away from day one. And I was against this 'children of the elements' thing because it was just another factor tying us together.”

“'Was' against?” Brett lifted an eyebrow.

“Yeah…” Jason muttered. “Someone made me realize that we all have problems, most of them pretty much the same – hell, one is exactly the same – and that I shouldn't take mine out on you guys.” Jason glanced at Lexi and smiled, her returning it brightly.

“So… I guess that was my apology,” he ad-libbed, shuffling awkwardly.