Chapter 19

Chapter 19

“A weapon is not just a sword or shield in your hand,” Elaine stated. “It is an extension of your hand.”

She looked at each of them. “When an enemy isn't close enough for your reach, or when your bare hands are not enough to render him defeated, your weapon becomes your helper.”

They were all back in the open field, listening intently to Elaine's lesson. There were still nine days left until their deadline, and their progress in training had been rapidly advancing. Mr. Paul had told them that they learned hand-to-hand combat easily because the gods whose essences they each had were all warriors, and that perhaps they would quickly be accustomed to weapon use as well.

Elaine waved an arm behind her, where there was a wooden rack with an array of silver-clad weapons. “Choose wisely, for the weapon you must become second nature to you.”

Heath stepped forward first, eyeing the rack carefully. There was quite a collection to pick from; blades, maces, staffs and projectile weapons galore. After a moment, he reached in and pulled out a large sword.

“The broadsword,” Elaine said wistfully. “It is tool of vast strength when expertly used.”

Heath eyed the sword carefully, weighing it in his hands. “Awesome.”

“My turn,” Jason said as he stepped forward. He walked with an intent stride that gave the impression he had already picked before even reaching the weapons. He immediately grabbed a pair of identical swords from the rack.

“The double swords,” Elaine informed him. “They wield the opportunity for powerful double-handed attacks.”

Jason nodded as he twisted them around slowly in his hands. Asuka stepped forward and went around the rack. She bent down, reaching into the wooden contraption, and pulled out a slim sword with a sharp curve.

“The machete,” she said, rising and lifting the blade with two fingers of her other hand at its tip. “A lightweight sword that cuts through the air for quick attacks.”

“Correct,” Elaine noted in surprise. “Have you used one before?”

“Yes… I'm sort of an expert with it,” Asuka replied quietly. “My father taught me how to use it.”

“Am I the only one who feels he has an unfair advantage?” Heath whined.

Asuka shook her head and smiled as she walked back. “We're on the same side, you know.”

Lexi stepped forward to the rack. “What do you call these?” she asked as she pulled out two small, fork-like weapons, just larger than her hands. Each of their middle prongs was longer and wider than the ones at the sides.

“Those are sai swords,” Elaine said. “They are compact, swift and deadly – a powerful combination.”