Chapter 28

Chapter 28

“What happened?”

Elaine looked gravely at Mr. Pauls lifeless body on the floor. “It seems his longing for the old days far surpassed his conscience. It took him to the point that he killed his own brother, and threatened the lives of five children.”

“Yup,” Heath sighed. “That guy was whack.”

“No,” she muttered, kneeling down beside her father. She ran her hand along the side of his face. “Simply lost.”

“So what now?” Brett asked.

“Well, it is an unusual situation,” Elaine said quietly. She got up after a few moments. “But in my opinion, there are two decisions you must each make. Clearly Zeus has caused a lot of turmoil in your lives. You can choose whether or not to keep your powers, and whether or not you want to stay at this school.”

They all looked at each other in worry.

“You need not make the decision now,” Elaine stated. “The holidays are still to come. I guess for now we rest and try to get back to our normality.”

Brett nodded, and the others followed suit. 

“Miss Gordon, you're hurt,” Asuka said quietly.

She smiled weakly. “Oh, don't worry about that. I'm healing already. Now follow me, children. It should be lunchtime now.”

*

“So what are you deciding?”

Asuka looked up from her resting place on Brett's chest. “I don't know. This whole thing was so crazy; I just wanna get away from here, but… I don't want to leave you.”

“I don't want to leave you either,” Brett said, kissing her forehead. “Or the food in this place, it's like manna from heaven.”

“Shut up!” Asuka cried, pinching him in his side.

“Ouch, okay, I'm joking!” Brett said quickly. He glanced at the window. The storm clouds had floated away and the sun was shining brightly, its light wafting through the curtains.

“You know I realized two things today,” he said.

“What's that?” Asuka asked, sitting up on his bed next to him with her back against the headboard.

“Well, the first is that today's our birthday.”

Asuka's eyes went wide. “Whoa… Total reality check. Happy birthday,” she added, beaming brightly.