Chapter 18

Chapter 18

“This is not normal,” Heath whispered.

Through the passageway that Mr. Paul opened was a sight to be beheld. It was a beautiful paradise of forests, lakes, open fields, and even a volcano. Exotic birds were flocking to the treetops in beautiful formations, and deer and other, smaller creatures were galloping and scampering about.

Asuka parted her lips slowly. “It's…”

“…beautiful,” Brett finished.

“I wanted to preserve at least a small part of our old civilization,” Mr. Paul said as he stared longingly at the picturesque scene. “So I built this, along with the Elementals, inside the cave underground.”

It was not hard to tell that the air there was different from what they usually breathed. It was pure and intoxicating. The light breezes blowing through the trees were cool and inviting. The continuous flow of green was a calming sight; the lush green plants glistened with morning dew.

To the far right was a massive structure, a building of some sort, with two enormous statues. They were identical to each other, depicting a familiar figure wearing a toga, a golden crown, and sporting a long beard.

“Self-centered much?” Jason droned.

Mr. Paul shrugged with a proud smile. “Well, I am king.”

“WAS king,” Elaine corrected him, more forcefully than one normally would.

He frowned a little, replying without looking in her direction. “Yes, well… sometimes it's good to remember.”

“And sometimes it's better not to dwell on the past,” she replied with a tone of finality. She turned her attention to the others. “You will carry out your daily needs and activities, and most of your training here. It is perfect for you, as it incorporates all the elements.”

“How'd you get sunlight in here?” Lexi said, glancing up at the golden ball in the sky. “And the sky? I thought we were underground.”

“Helios and I are- were quite gifted gods,” Mr. Paul corrected himself, glancing stonily at Elaine. “I created this sky, and him a smaller version of the sun that would be compatible to this place.”

“Nice,” Brett said, staring at the sky. It looked exactly like the one above ground, but the perfection of the land below it brought him back to reality. Or unreality, depending on how you looked at it.

Heath started grinning ceaselessly. “Well? What are we waiting for? I wanna try out that volcano!”

*