Chapter 9

Mr. Paul's photo to the side---------->

----------

Chapter 9

Lexi's room was illuminated by the sun's light streaming in, a cool breeze blowing through the open window. She sat edgily on her bed, contemplating the element - oh, bad choice of words - the factor of craziness that had entered her life.

The others were seated on desk- and armchairs, all probably thinking the same thing.

"Okay," Brett started, leading the conversation as usual. He seemed to be quickly falling into the position of leader of the group, always being the one with the idea. But Lexi was okay with it; she wanted to follow for once.

The situation was definitely getting to her.

"There are a lot of questions still unanswered," Brett said. "We need to go back to Zeus and-"

"Can we call him something else?" Asuka said anxiously. "At this point, I'd prefer as little fantasy-story-come-true as I can get."

Brett shrugged in understanding. "I think normality might be a little too far to get back to now."

"This is unbelievable," Jason groaned. "What am I still doing here?"

"There's the door, Jason," Heath hissed through clenched teeth. "Or don't you know how to use one?"

"Calm down, Heath," Brett said coolly. "Jason, I didn't believe this at first either - I'm a man of science. But I thought about it... I checked it out online, and there were legends and anthologies of mortals with the power we have-"

"The power we have?" Jason laughed. "Are you hearing yourself?"

"I ruled that out as a myth," Brett continued, ignoring his reply. "Until we started that History project. When we were all in Heath's room, I noticed things about all of us."

Asuka frowned. "Like?"

"Well, I noticed you outside actually. You're a total tree-hugger; the context being a compliment, by the way."

Asuka blushed and fiddled with a curl of her hair. "Thanks."

Brett smiled back. "You literally touch every tree you walk past. And you're almost always looking at the ground. Heath is obsessed with that lighter of his - I bet he didn't even notice he's using it now."

Heath looked down at his hand, and saw it flicking the switch on and off. He frowned in surprise.

"Lexi can't sit in a room without opening the windows, and half the time she stands by them and just... breathes."

Lexi turned from the window, and looked from her bed to her feet, wondering how she'd gotten there.

"I know I can't spend even ten minutes without feeling sunlight on my skin. And Jason, you drink a gallon of water a day. Did you ever even wonder why you never vomit from overhydrating yourself? Or why you're not at the bathroom every hour?"

Jason glanced at his bottle intently, twisting it around in his hand.

"And what about how were all found as babies?" Brett carried on, seeming to be on a roll. "Each of us was found in their own element. I'm surprised we didn't see this before."

Jason shook his head slowly. "It's just not possible."

Lexi walked towards him. "I know what you're feeling, Jason. If you deny it long enough or hard enough, it's just gonna fade away. But this is real, this is happening. We can't escape it."

Jason sighed, and then drank deeply from his bottle. He wiped a drop from the corner of his mouth. "Alright then, let's go visit the big Zeus man."