Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Poseidon!”

“No, it was Neptune!”

“Neptune was the Roman counterpart, idiot!”

“Okay,” Brett dragged his exclamation, trying to get above both Heath and Jason's voices. He couldn't believe that he'd actually hoped the two wouldn't end up arguing.

The seemingly incongruous five were sitting in Heath's room, discussing their History project. Unfortunately though, they didn't seem to be getting anywhere.

“Heath,” Brett sighed. “Poseidon was the Greek god of the sea.”

“Yep,” Asuka confirmed, looking up from her cellphone. “Poseidon.”

Heath huffed. “Well, the book is wrong.”

Lexi rolled her eyes. “Can we get this over with, please?”

Brett nodded. “Alright, Zeus was king of Olympus and basically god of the gods, Athena was goddess of- what the hell are you doing?”

Heath was reclining on his bed, casually switching a lighter on and on. He looked up from his daze. “Huh?”

Brett’s eyes were manic. “Dude, you have a lighter.”

He looked at his hand and grinned. “Yeah, I do.”

Brett face-palmed. “They're not allowed on school premises.”

Heath just shrugged. “It relaxes me.” He continued with his on- and off-switching.

Lexi sighed and walked over to the window, opening it full on. She stretched out her arms and took in a deep breath. Jason opened his bag and pulled out a water bottle, proceeding to gulp it down. Asuka gazed longingly outside the window. Brett followed her gaze and saw the open fields, and the line of trees beyond them.

He looked with worry at each of the people in the room, wondering what had triggered their sudden, strange actions.

A weird though popped into Brett's head. He glanced nervously around at them, but they didn’t seem to notice. “Hey guys, lets pick up tomorrow. You can go… do whatever.” He grabbed his bag and walked out the door.

Asuka frowned. “What just happened?”

The others shrugged.

*

Brett logged off the Google service on his laptop, frowning in disbelief. Could it be possible? He shook his head, shrugging off his stupid notion. It was crazy and impossible.