Ch.5- The Move

Ch. 5- The Move

I saw Ryan one more time after that, in the summer at my house with his parents. I think they might have been our landlords and I just never knew, which was weird, I don't know why else they would have been there. We didn't say a word to each other and I pretended not to know him which I did a lot when I was uncomfortable. It was very uncomfortable. I didn't know at the time but that was the start of our moving process.

At the brown house Me and Rickie knew everyone on our block, it was a safe neighborhood. We would walk around barefoot in the street during the summer, hopping from house to house, because everyone knew each other and no one worried about bad things happening at night. We would be out until my dad came home or my mom made dinner and called us in. Sometimes some kids would come in unexpectedly to eat with us or we would eat another family's food, because we traveled together like a pack of rats, and if I knew we were leaving I would have held onto it longer.

All the houses smelled like marlboro smoke, like nana's house, so much so that every home felt like home to me. I lost my first tooth at the Chinese family's house down the street and we spend an hour looking for it on the floor when we dropped it and a bowl of popcorn at the same time. None of the kids spoke English but we were pretty close despite all that, the girl knock translated most of her brothers when she was around. I had a crush on our friend Chris that lived across from us, he was an older kid and I thought I was in love with him. Weirdly enough he also saw me using a pacifier once a few years back and I cried lol. I was using that way past my time I was like 5 still using a pacifier. The point is that place was ingrained in us, it was a part of us.

Which sucks because, I don't think we really knew we were moving until we actually moved. I remember that day because we discovered two pomegranate bushes, and a strawberry patch in our backyard, that we somehow missed my entire life. It's like the house was trying to bribe us back, we didn't want to leave anyways, our parents couldn't figure out why we loved that ugly brown house but we did, the handprints on the mailbox, and all the hamster graves out back, this was our home, they tried to convince us this new place would be better but they were grown up explanations and we were kids. We didn't care that the new house had a bigger deck, the new house didn't have the same crooked tree out front we loved, and it didn't smell like dried paint, and we were right to be sad because we would never be that happy together again.