CH. XXXVIII

⋆ ☄︎. · ̊ * 🔭
chapter thirty-eight

The moonlight is a diffuse ocean above them, lessening the inky blackness of the night, but not so bright as to dull the stars that speckle and glitter in the heavens above

His head moves upward to gift his undivided attention to the moon, mesmerized by the lights that let him and the girl in front of him shine.

He whispers slowly, adoration evident in his voice, "A full moon, indeed..."

Then, he looks down on her, and his eyes start to smile. Unhurriedly, he leans down and cups both sides of her face with his hands.

That's when he pulls both of them into another galaxy, his emotions telling her that he needs more of a connection than they're used to.

If it were anybody else, she would've dropped her gaze, but with him she's drawn closer - always wanting more.

The depth of the sky's blue is as their love, that only over the years to they notice the strength of the hue. Up close, it is as clear as pure water, yet when they see the miles, it is the blue of fairytale dreams.

Instead of letting his rational mind dominate, his heart starts speaking for him, "I love you, Yona."

He smiles at her, before slowly leaning closer. Her hand is shaking slightly, her mind repeating the same sentence over and over, "Don't do this... don't do this."

But the sound of her heart is beating so loud, she couldn't concentrate. It feels like it's going to explode.

Their lips are about to connect, but...

-

Yona awakes without warning, eyes flung so wide, each iris is a perfect orb of rusty chocolate.

"Are you okay?" Jeongguk asks carefully, sitting down on Ahri's bed. His widened eyes hold concern, as if he knows what she's dreamt of.

After a second or two, her head turns like some Halloween dummy, mouth slackened, "Yeah..."

As he notices her flushed face, he innocently places the back of his hand to her forehead to check her temperature. "Your forehead is pretty warm."

Sitting up, she shakes her head in denial and takes his wrist to pull it away from her. "No, it's okay."

"Did you dream of something..." He searches for the right words, whispering the last part, "Weird?"