Chapter 4: The Battle

The scene was even more disastrous than Nat made it seem to be. The buildings that surrounded the city were destroyed; bricks and glass and other debris littered the war-battered streets of Sokovia. Ultron's robotic minions flew every which way, firing at the city, the people, and the Avengers. Despite the adrenaline the coursed through Lily's veins, she was a little relieved that the Avengers did in fact need her with this mission. Now, I can fully explain to Jemma that this was an emergency.

Lily fought besides Clint, who took out a string of robots to his left. Lily grasped her staff tightly in her hand, her fingers turning white. Her eyes scanned the small street they were on, looking at the new wave of robots that filled the absence of the ones that she and Clint had just killed. As they ran at them, Lily closed her eyes and positioned her staff in the air in front of her. She concentrated hard on her powers and who she wanted to focus them on, and in a swift and fluid motion, she brought the staff down with a thundering boom. Opening her eyes, she saw the destruction she caused; the robots in her path rumbled vigorously until they disintegrated into nothing more than a pile of metal. She smiled at her good work while swaying a little, but Clint was quick to steady her. Doing that always took a lot of her energy often leaving her light-headed, but she always recovered quickly.

"You okay?" Clint asked her as the light-headedness faded. Lily nodded, in response. She was still in shock that all this was happening. Ultron's words replayed over in her mind; "You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword and the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal." Lily and Clint, still standing in their place, surveyed the area. For the time being, there were no more robots that came through their position. Breathing heavily, Lily looked at Clint. They both knew that it was getting harder to breathe as the city rose higher and higher in the air.

"You okay? You look a little winded." Lily asked as she looked at Clint. A part of her was joking, making a little quip about his age, but another part of her was entirely serious and also felt the same way. I've been eating way too much pizza. Damn you, Jemma. She cursed her wife's tendencies to overindulge on unhealthy foods, but she knew that she loved that about her. Clint shot her a look, understanding her meaning behind her words and laughed, though he was still trying to catch his breath.

"Never felt better." The two new friends shared a quick laugh as they both tried to regain their stamina. The fight wasn't over yet. Tuning back into the commotion going over through their communication devices, the two heard Tony's voice talking to Steve.

"Cap, you got incoming."
"Incoming already came in. Stark, you worry about bringing the city back down safely. The rest of us have one job: tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed, walk it off."
Lily and Clint nodded at Steve's words, but a series of explosions to their right caused them to snap their heads in that direction. There, not far from where they were standing, was another hoard of robots coming their way. In front of them, running and trying to destroy as many as possible, was a young girl with long brown hair dressed in red and black. Lily froze as she gazed at the young girl, the girl from her vision. Fear took over her as she remembered her untimely demise.

Wanda, not noticing the other two Avengers, tried to take on the multiple robots by herself. She conjured small but powerful bolts of her red energy and fired each, one after the other, at every robot she saw. She did this while running, which wasn't wise. After a couple of steps, she would shoot up to four shots, and then start running again to avoid being shot. Fear and anxiety coursed through her, infecting her actions, causing her aim to become skewed. Now, she wasn't hitting as many robots as she would've liked, and the fire that they rained down on her was more than what she could handle. She started to not pay attention to where she was running to, and just tried desperately to get away.