Chapter 14: The Choice

"I don't know what to do, Jemma," Wanda said. After Jemma picked her up from the compound, the two went back to the apartment where Jemma put on some gentle music, made hot chocolate, and curled up on the couch with Wanda while she told her everything that was going on with the Accords. "What do I do?"

"I don't know, Sweetie." Jemma gently rubbed Wanda's arm. Jemma wasn't enhanced; she didn't have superpowers, so the Sokovia Accords wouldn't affect her. "I honestly don't know what you should do."

"Ever since the bombings that destroyed my home, I've found it hard to trust any government. How can I trust this one? What makes them different?" Wanda asked, a hint of sadness and fear in her voice.

"I'm sure the government doesn't want to hurt you, Wanda. I'm sure they just want to protect you Avengers and all people from more devastation."

"But Ross tried to make it seem like everything that happened was our fault. Like the Avengers called Loki and his army to New York; that the Avengers were behind HYDRA growing within S.H.I.E.L.D.. Everything would've been worse had the Avengers not stepped in, and he's not giving us enough credit," Wanda said, the anger she felt earlier resurfaced. She stood up from the couch and started pacing in front of Jemma. She was too anxious and afraid to speak up during the meeting, but all the anger that she felt bubbled over and she couldn't contain it. "And, he had the nerve to compare enhanced people to bombs; referring to them only as weapons to be used in a war rather than actual people. There's no way that he even gives a shit about people like me. If he had it his way, we'd be locked up in some secret government base, never seeing sunlight again, like the 'weapons' we are."

Jemma watched helplessly as Wanda paced in front of her, growing angrier with each step. Her eyes held a faint red hew and a red mist surrounded her hands that gestured wildly as she spoke, venom dripping from her angry words. Jemma felt hurt; she didn't know what to say to help calm Wanda down. She had never met the girl's fury, only her sadness. She reached out and gently grabbed on to Wanda's arm, pulling her from her angry rant, and pulled her back to the couch. Sitting her down, Jemma leaned Wanda's head on her shoulder and held her close, trying to get her to relax. The red in her eyes soon faded as she sat in Jemma's comforting embrace.

"This document says it's supposed to help protect us and people, but why do I keep getting this feeling that it'll do more harm than good?" Wanda asked as she calmed down. The anger had subsided, and all that was left was fear. Fear for herself and her future. She's been a prisoner before and wasn't looking forward to becoming one again. She's been lied to by an authority figure many times, and she was damn sure she wasn't going to let that happen again. She wasn't going to look like a fool anymore.

"There's no way of knowing what will happen, either with the Accords or without it. All I can say, is that you should do whatever you think is right. Do that, and I promise that I'll always support you; no matter what."

○○○

Wanda was still undecided about how she should proceed with the Accords. Most days, she locked herself in her room desperately looking for an answer, but always being left empty. She hadn't left the apartment since Secretary Ross came to the compound with the Accords. She missed them all, even though she was a little angry with how some had decided to sign. Vision stopped by to see her every day to keep her company since Jemma wasn't around much during the day because of her job. At first, he would always knock or phase through the door to come in, but Jemma had given him a key and Wanda lectured him about phasing when he once walked in on her just coming out of the shower.

Wanda was currently in her usual position, sitting on her bed staring at the ceiling, hoping for an answer to her problem to just fall right into her lap. Jemma's writing playlist of classical music played loudly in her room, drowning out all other outside noises. The smell of food was the only thing that pulled her from her thoughts and her room. She wasn't sure where the smell was coming from since Jemma was at work and wouldn't be back for a while. Walking down the small hallway to the kitchen, Wanda saw the tall red and vibranium body of Vision, and while she was a little shocked to see him there in the kitchen cooking, she wasn't at all surprised.