Chapter 46: What's This?

Within the following weeks, things went back to normal for the young couple. Claire went back to her job and by the end of the first week, handed in her two weeks' notice, deciding it was better for everyone and not just herself if she removed herself from Brad's person.

After hearing of her struggle to find a new job that paid well, Tony Stark made her an offer she couldn't refuse and asked her to work at Stark Industries. She tried to refuse his offer, doing her best to keep her dislike for Tony out of her decision-making, and even went to Wanda and Jemma for outside counsel and advice, but ultimately she accepted. Like her old job, she was only a secretary for Tony (which she was 90% sure that he made the position up just to take her) and in her free time took classes online provided by a local high school to help her work towards her GED. Though she never thought she'd say it, she missed being in school. She had missed so much while she was stuck being experimented on in Sokovia, and she was glad that she had the chance to return to some normalcy of her former life, regardless of the fact that she was a few years too late.

Wanda smiled at Claire as she sat at the other end of the table in front of her laptop with textbooks and notebooks sprawled out and open. Five different colored highlighters sat uncapped in different books and Claire chewed furiously on the cap of a blue pen as she tried to concentrate on her assignments. Wanda took a sip from her cup of tea and returned her attention to her own book and continued studying. Once they had settled into their apartment, Steve carefully reminded them that Wanda still wasn't a citizen and said that it would be in their best interest if she applied for citizenship.

The material wasn't particularly difficult for her to understand, but it was just...a lot. She wasn't yet eligible to apply for citizenship, but she figured she'd get a head start on the studying so when the time came, it would be easier for her to understand it. Claire was a big help and often helped her study and took time out of her schedule to practically homeschool her. Wanda never really had any formal schooling in Sokovia before her parents died, and after they did, she and Pietro lived on the streets. She knew basic math and grammar, but that was the limitations on her knowledge, but she prided herself on being "very street smart, resourceful in survival situations, and having above average common sense" (her words).

Claire let out a loud groan as she laid her head down dramatically on her open textbook. Wanda rolled her eyes, laughing at Claire. Every so often, Claire would "die of boredom" which screamed at Wanda to help stimulate her interests again to get her working. Claire was very smart—much smarter than she let on—and whenever she got bored with her work, Wanda would think that it was because it wasn't challenging enough for her.

"Wanda!" Claire said into her book, drawing out her name in an annoying whine.

"What is it, Claire?" Wanda asked, trying to continue studying.

"I'm bored." Wanda looked over at the other end of the table, meeting Claire's eyes and closed her book of U.S. history. She pointed the cover over towards her and raised a brow.

"Wanna trade?"

Claire groaned again, defeated and lifted her head and stared at her computer screen.

"It's so boring, Wanda! Help me!"

"What are you working on now?" Wanda asked. The book sat on the table and she got up and moved to the seat next to her, pulling her laptop over so she could read the screen.

"Stupid math."

"Claire, you're good at math," Wanda said looking over at her and back to the screen, studying the algebra equations. "You know this already. What's the problem?"