Chapter 39: Back to Wakanda

Sam flew the Quinjet in the familiar direction of Wakanda, making good time, and arriving only a few hours later. He landed the Quinjet on the same landing pad as he did the last time they were here and opened the hatch. Claire grasped Wanda's hand in hers and sent her a loving smile.

"See? I told you we'd come back here," she muttered causing Wanda to chuckle.

"Yes, you were right, but I thought it would be under better circumstances." Claire quickly kissed her cheek as they walked down the hatch and into the warm Wakandan sun. Like last time, T'Challa and his guards were already there, ready to greet them.

"There's still time, baby."

"Should we bow?" Bruce asked Rhodey as they walked down the hatch behind Claire and Wanda.

"Yeah, he's a king," Rhodey said seriously.

Steve walked towards the king and shook his hand with a smile on his face.

"Seems like I'm always thanking you for something," Steve said. Bruce followed behind him and awkwardly bows to him.

"What are you doing?" Rhodey asked as he smacked his arm and pulled Bruce back up as Wanda and Claire tried to keep from laughing. T'Challa held up his hands and shook his head in modesty.

"Uh, we don't do that here," he says as Bruce shoots Rhodey a look. T'Challa took a minute and looked over at Wanda and Claire. "And how are Ms. Maximoff?"

"I'm doing much better, your highness," Wanda said, giving him a little bow and a smile. Claire pulled her closer and intertwined her fingers with Wanda's. T'Challa nodded and looked back at Steve.

"So how big of an assault can we expect?"

"Uh, sir, I think you can expect quite a big assault," Bruce said poking his head out from behind Steve, once again fidgety. Sam and Vision left and followed some of the guards towards another building. Wanda kissed Claire lightly on the cheek before following them. Claire turned her attention back towards Steve and T'Challa.

Natasha bumped her arm and mouthed, "Are you okay?"

Claire nodded and mouthed back, "Just worried."

"It'll be okay," Natasha mouthed as she rubbed the younger woman's arm. "How we looking?"

"You will have my Kingsguard, the Boarder Tribe, the Dora Milage, and..."

"A semi-stable, 100-year-old man," Bucky said as he walked towards the group with a small smile on his bearded face. Steve smiled as they embraced and patted his back.

"How you been, Buck?" Steve asked, happy to see him.

"Uh, not bad, for the end of the world." Steve let him go, and Bucky walked over to Claire and pulled her into a bone crushing hug. She let out a little groan as his new vibranium arm crushed her.

"Yeah, it's good to see you too, Bicky," she said, her voice straining. "Buck, for the love of God, please let me go." Bucky chuckled and released her. Claire coughed as she playfully glared at him.

"Hey, Claire Bear."

"Hey yourself. That a new arm?"

"Yep. You like it?" Bucky asked as he started to flex it. Claire watched as the golden strips rippled as he moved the metal. She giggled at his face, which was contorted in a way that suggested that he was trying to seduce her, and Claire couldn't tell if it was an act or his intention (he was guilty of trying to seduce her in the past).