Chapter 10: Moving

The sun was shining through the apartment like any other day. The usual sound of the TV comedy's fake audience laughter filled the air, mixing with the real ones of its inhabitants. The familiar smell of Lily's cooking drifted through the apartment. Jemma got up from her spot on the couch and walked over to stand behind Lily who was standing in front of the stove, stirring an unknown meal in a pot. Jemma wrapped her arms around Lily's waist and laid her head in the middle of her back, inhaling her fruity scented lotion. She closed her eyes at the blissful sound of Lily's laugh.

"You know, it's hard to focus on dinner when you're being this adorable."

"I've missed this," Jemma said, her voice full of longing and sadness. Lily turned her head slightly, trying to look at her wife, and sighed in understanding.

"Yeah, I know." The two fell into silence; neither one was sure if it was uncomfortable, but they didn't know what to say. Lily stopped stirring the pot, and turned around in Jemma's arms, now facing Jemma. She took the younger woman's face into her hands and place a gentle kiss on her lips and forehead. "I'm sorry I couldn't keep my promise."

"It's okay. I'm just glad you're happy. You are happy, right?" Jemma asked, scared that her Lily was spending eternity in pain. But all Lily did was smile.

"Yeah, Jemma Bean. I'm happy."

"Good." Jemma rested her head on Lily's chest. Lily laughed, the familiar vibrations ringing through Jemma's body. Suddenly, Lily bent down and lifted Jemma up and sat her down on the edge of the granite countertop of the island. Wrapping her arms around Jemma, Lily brought herself closer to her wife and gave her a loving and passionate kiss. Pulling away, both women were left breathless and smiling.

"I can't tell you how long I've been wanting to do that," Lily whispered as she tucked a small piece of hair behind her ear then proceeding to do the same with Jemma. Lily's light skin glowed and shimmered in the light of the evening sun. Jemma smiled, but she refused to look into Lily's eyes. "Why won't you look at me, love?"

"I'm afraid." Jemma's voice trembled as she felt the tears form. She didn't want to cry; not now.

"Why, love?" Finally daring herself to look, Jemma lifted her eyes to Lily's face. Jemma's teary eyes met Lily's also filled with tears.

"I'm afraid because I know this isn't real; that you're not really here or that I'm not really here. I'm afraid because I don't want to sucked back to a place where you no longer exist. Having you not in my life fucking hurts, and it hurts even more when I'm reminded of that. I can't live without you; I don't want to live without you. Every time I close my eyes, I see you. I see you happy and laughing and messing with Griffon, but I also see you getting crushed by that building...and I can't fucking sleep. Because no matter what I see, it haunts me—you haunt me, Lily. I...I don't want to be here anymore. It hurts too much." Jemma couldn't hold her sobs. She gasped and coughed as her breathing sped up.

"Shhh...hey, hey, calm down. Calm down, love, it's okay. It's okay." Lily's hands flew up to Jemma's face and she started wiping away her tears. "It'll get better, Jemma. I promise you. One day, when you think of me, you'll be able to smile and it won't hurt as much."
"Why couldn't you take me with you?"
"You know why you can't come with me Jemma. It's not your time, besides, you're needed here, Jemma." Lily chuckled, but deep down she felt bad. She knew that Jemma was in a lot of pain, and there was nothing she could do about it.

"Who needs me? No one needs me, Lily. What can I offer anyone? You're the hero, at least you were. Me, I'm a nobody. I'm not special; I don't have superpowers. I can't offer anything to anyone."