Chapter 50: "Chapter 1"

Things were finally calm between everyone. Claire and Wanda's hectic work schedule settled down considerably, and they finally got to see more of each other. They spent their time going out every night to dinner or to the movies or even dancing; they just wanted to enjoy each other. They had many more date nights, and while Claire was still working up the courage to finally pop the question, she carried a ring with her just in case the moment was right. Wanda ended up missing being a hero and joined the Avengers again, but because of her fear of leaving Claire like how Lily left Jemma, she made a deal with Natasha to only help when it was absolutely necessary. Claire did not rejoin the Avengers, though she did help Michaela out in Hell's Kitchen and other parts of New York whenever the vigilante needed her.

The Avengers were officially pardoned from any war crimes that they were accused of, and Wanda, Clint, Sam, and Scott were compensated for their inhumane treatment in the Raft. Though Ross kept his job, he was refused to work with the Raft and any other inmates. Tony officially retired as Iron Man, though he'd throw on the suit every now and then to help out, because let's face it, the billionaire genius playboy philanthropist just couldn't stay away from the superhero spotlight.

Bucky returned to New York after being pardoned and spent his free time hanging out with Claire and Wanda (who he loved and considered family) and sometimes Jemma when she was free. Rhodey took over the roll of Iron Man in Tony's absence, and would sometimes fight alongside him. Clint and Scott went back to their families and proceeded to live happy, stress-free lives. Eventually, Steve decided it was time for him to retire as well, and he passed the shield and "Captain America" mantle onto Sam, who had accepted the role as long as "Bicky" helped him, which he agreed.

Natasha agreed to stay an Avenger, though she moved out of the compound and into Jemma's apartment so that she wasn't alone, which Jemma was grateful for. She kept in touch with Melinda May and Directory Fury and assured Jemma that they got the pictures and were very touched at the effort. Surprisingly, Griffon did not take too kindly to Natasha moving in. Maybe he only liked her in small doses. While she never said anything to Natasha about it, she was glad that Griffon didn't like her, because watching them get at it made Jemma miss Lily a little less. Since she was the only one of the original Avengers that decided to stay, Sam felt it right that she be named their new leader, and she accepted.

Thor returned to his people in "New Asgard" and assisted Valkyrie in ruling the kingdom for a while before he shot off into space looking for the Guardians of the Galaxy. Bruce too retired, and took Tony's advice and moved to the shore, wanting to spend his days relaxing on a beach turning brown instead of green.

And Jemma finally got the professional help that she didn't know she needed to help her get through her anxiety and grief. Before long, she was doing much better, and whenever she did have a breakdown, she now had the proper tools to work through it. She still worked at the paper, though she began spending more time coming up with her own works. She'd been published a few more times, and even won an award for best short story. Upon hearing, Tony threw her a small party and all the Avengers and Avengers affiliated people were invited. It was a nice day to hang out and reconnect with old friends and make new ones. And it was at the party that Jemma disclosed her big secret: she had finally come up with an idea for her novel! She decided that she'd tell the story of them; the untold story of the fugitive Avengers and their time on the run.

As far as any of them could see, there were no more heavily looming threats. They were all allowed to breathe a sigh of relief as they celebrated Jemma's award and new story idea. And for a moment, they all felt good, happy. Above all the noise of celebration, a drunken Tony raised his half empty beer bottle and said, "Here's to Lily: for bringing us all together." Jemma smiled and raised her glass of red wine as the rest of the Avengers followed suit.

"To Lily," they chorused, taking a drink fortheir fallen friend who had indeed helped bring them together.