Chapter 30: Just Talk Already

Wanda sat on the couch in the living room reading a book, quiet instrumental music played gracefully in the background, loud enough that she could hear it and not get distracted, but not loud enough to disturb the rest of the house. She picked the trick up from Jemma who used the technique whenever she was trying to write. The living room was empty except for Jemma who sat at the dining table with her laptop trying to write. Most of the team was out doing different errands, and those that were in the house were in their rooms doing God knows what.

Jemma paused her writing, stopping in mid-sentence and looked over towards where Wanda was sitting on the couch. She was sitting curled up in the corner, turned ever so slightly to catch the sunlight streaming in through the window. Jemma caught the few stray rays that illuminated her green eyes instead of the page, and she couldn't help but smile. Ever since Wanda confessed her feelings for Claire, she saw Wanda in a new light. She gazed at her with admiration in her eyes as she thought back to the scared, grief-stricken and closed off girl that came to live with her and how she had grown into someone who wanted to open themselves up to the possibility of a relationship. She believed, with every fiber of her being that Wanda and Claire were perfect for each other. Although it didn't feel like that now.

The awkwardness between the two died down pretty quick, which was a relief to everyone else in the house, but not in the way that Jemma hoped. They still hadn't talked, and they somehow always managed to avoid each other in any possible situation. When it was time for meals, one of them would eat in their room or at a later time; if one of them was in the living room, the other waited until they left. They made sure not to run into each other when going into or coming out of the bathroom that sat in between their rooms. Claire was responsible for that; her wolf senses always picked up the sound of Wanda's footsteps and she would wait until she didn't hear them anymore.

Jemma sighed as she watched Wanda, lost in her own thoughts on the situation. Even though her and Wanda were definitely not related by blood, it amazed her how much the brunette picked up on her mannerisms and traits after living together for such a short time. She had come to find that Wanda was a very stubborn person, regardless of how action oriented she was. She also noticed that ever since the incident in Sokovia, whenever Wanda was faced with an uncomfortable situation, she would freeze and avoid it as long as possible, so it didn't surprise Jemma when Wanda still hadn't talked to Claire about her feelings. Not that Wanda hadn't tried. She tried to do it earlier in the week, but Claire wouldn't open the door, which made Wanda clam up and go back to avoiding it until it miraculously fixed itself. Newsflash Wanda, it doesn't work that way.

Jemma went back to her writing, figuring it was less painful than thinking about the relationship status of a teenager. She was annoyed though, because this situation was so familiar to Jemma and it made her want to grab Wanda by the shoulders and scream at her saying she was wasting some much time when she could be happy. But she couldn't do that. She understood where Wanda was coming from, and that this couldn't be rushed, no matter how much more Jemma knew. So, she took out her frustration and grief on the poor letters on her keyboard, sending the loud clicks and clacks through the air of the safehouse.

Wanda looked up from her book, the sudden loud typing infiltrating her headspace and throwing her off her mental rhythm. She watched as Jemma's fingers moved faster and harder across the keyboard, vigorously typing out her growing hostility. Wanda placed her bookmark on her current page and placed the book on the cushion next to her and got up from the couch and sat in the chair next to Jemma at the dining table. She laid her hand on top of Jemma's closest hand, keeping it still and interrupting the flow of the sentence. Upon feeling Wanda's hand on hers, Jemma stopped typing and turned her brown eyes away from the glaring white screen and looked at Wanda's worry-filled green ones.