*Ch 43 + Ep 21; 11; 1: Weather (Part 1)

(This can be considered as an extension or a different interpretation related to the analysis I wrote about two years ago called "The Snow." It is not required to read "The Snow" in order to understand this analysis though!)
——

There is an interesting discussion out there on the web talking about why animators may illustrate snowfall. (I'll put the link right here, though you don't have to read it: https://www.quora.com/In-Japanese-cinematography-is-there-a-special-significance-to-snow-starting-to-fall)

According to Sakisaka, it seems that Japanese animators or people in general may see snowfall as something representative of inevitability. It can be a sign of sadness, loss, vulnerability, and ending. Snowflakes will melt at a certain temperature. This is inevitable.

Yuu steps into the cold snow and feels chilly all over

Yuu steps into the cold snow and feels chilly all over. Yet, this isn't what he's focused on. As the snow falls, Yuu feels the inevitable sense of powerlessness. And loss.

Night can represent the orphans' eternal sleep after the event Yuu had to run away from.

In Sanguinem, though it wasn't the brightest place to be around, there was some form of lighting around in the area. And during that time in Sanguinem, Yuu was always with the other children—his family.

Now outside of Sanguinem, it's not so bright (at least, in the anime). Perhaps this bleak cold night shows the audience that Yuu's heart is opening to darkness, in the form of the desire for revenge and self-sufficiency.

Self-sufficiency can be, in Yuu's case, a bad thing. Yuu should not just push away people from his life. It's impossible to simply do everything on his own and not have any friends for the rest of his life.

Of course, over time, Yuu changes his goals to accommodate his friends.

And then comes along Mika in episode 21.

As Mika is holding Yuu, who is unconscious, snowflakes fall

As Mika is holding Yuu, who is unconscious, snowflakes fall. It is fairly similar to the episode one snowfall, yet there are major differences.

It's not nighttime. Mika is here this time with Yuu; in fact, he's huddled close to Yuu. Would this scene be considered a representation of loss and ending?