getaway

12

Jennie sat across a table, nice table sets at the wooden pathways facing a lake, a nice house standing beautifully behind her. On her hands is a mug of a hot tea that's gone cold.

She lost count of how many sighs she released since she got here.

Few days a go, appeared in front of her parents, Jennie, with a puffy eyes and a weak smile on her face. She got her mother widen her eyes in worries.

"Honey what's wrong?" she asked while squeezing her into her hugs.

He only explained that she took a semester off because the school stressed her out. And she just break up, and that adding the pain.

Her father asked about her scholarship, that's how they know how she could get into such an expensive college. Jennie had to chew her tongue to stop her from crying.

"I'll try to get it again next year when my furlough is finished." She smiled.

The afternoon sun brings a serenity while it falls to the white walls of the mansion.

A mansion of her family.

The only pride left in her family.

Jennie Kim was the only daughter of a rich businessman before her father got scammed few years a go. The glory days of her life ended. The empire her father built fell apart in just one night. They seized it out of them, leaving only one mansion that was under her mother's name. but to live in a big house that require an expensive care is hard, so they lease it out.

Ignoring the pride, her parents is smart enough to rent it to the rich people who wants to have a weekend getaway, or a small engagements, or even a private party. Just enough to keep the mansion clean, and bills paid. While they live in a pavilion at the side of the house, that was maid's.

It's a nice pavilion, like a small house with two bedrooms and a tiny living room, it accommodate them very well.

"We'll have guests this weekend." Her father sat beside her, "would you give us hands?"

Jennie turned and smile, "will I get paid?"

Her father wrap his arm around her shoulder, "you'll even get an overtime."

"Cool." She chuckles.

They both looking at the lake, the lake where she had her small wooden boat once.

"Hey dad..." she said, "I'm—" her mind flew to the days she spent at the library to prepare herself for a qualification tests for scholarship, days of her studies with Hanbin slipping in between. "If I couldn't get the scholarship for next year... I—can I, uh, just—" she couldn't continue.

"You wanted to quit?"

Jennie gulped.

"I raised no quitter, Jennie."

She look at her feet, "I know..."

"I could give up years a go, when the police came and took everything, but I want you to look up on me, I want you to see a survivor. I want you to know that sometimes universe shows it true face, the darker side of it, but it doesn't mean that it will always be dark." He pull her head closer and rest it on his shoulder. "you just got distracted because you broke up with your boyfriend, and I understand that you wanted to go home, to be with family to find yourself a new strengths... so just be home for a while."

"He's not just a boy, dad..." she mumbled, "not just a boy..."

Her chest hurts from so many things left unsaid.