6

Trigger warning: drug mention, death mention, street gang mention, depression mention

Also at one point Alex says that being in the sun treats acne it really doesn't it just darkens your skin so you can't see the redness anymore. Wear sunscreen kids! 

A/N: Enjoy!! 

The floor was cold beneath Alex's bare feet as he tiptoed into the bedroom.

"Mommy! Mommy! I drew you a picture!" Alex said, jumping into bed beside her.

"Mommy! Wake up!" Alex said, prodding his mother's side with his arm "Wake up!"

Alex's mother didn't move. She just kept lying there, fast asleep.

"Mommy?" Alex said, his stomach starting to fill up with dread. "Mommy, why aren't you waking up? Don't you want to see my drawing?"

Alex tapped his mother's shoulder, silently willing her to wake up.

"Mommy? Why aren't you waking up? You always wake up to see my drawings." Alex started to cry, his tears dripping onto the bed sheets. "Mommy, please wake up. Please. I won't wake you up early anymore just please wake up!"

Alex grabbed his mother's hand and squeezed it so tightly that his knuckles turned white. Her skin was as cold as ice.

"Mommy? Please wake up." He lay down beside her and wrapped his arms around her, shivering even though the room was warm. "Mommy? Please?"

"Alexander?"

Alex's eyes snapped open, his body drenched in a cold sweat.

He looked up to see Martha Washington standing with her hands on his shoulders, staring down at him with the concern of a doctor staring at a patient they knew wasn't going to make it.

"Alexander, are you alright?" She asked, removing her hands from her shoulders and gently patting his head. "I heard you screaming in your sleep. Are you okay?"

Alex pulled the covers up over his chest and nodded, trying to catch his breath.

"Yeah. I'm fine. I just had a bad dream." Alex's body was shaking with terror.

He'd been having nightmares like this since he was a kid. Nightmares about his mother dying, nightmares about his brother dying, nightmares about himself dying.

The nightmares had gotten worse as he got older. They'd become more frequent, more vivid. Eventually, he'd started waking up in the middle of the night screaming and drenched in a cold sweat.

These nightmares were the reason so many foster families had sent him back to the orphanage. They'd gotten fed up with being woken up in the middle of the night by Alex's screaming.

"Alexander, are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine."

"Do you have bad dreams often?"

"I said I'm fine." Alex snapped, shoving Martha away from him.

Martha looked shocked and took a step back from him.

"Alexander-"

"I'm fine. Just leave me alone." Alex pulled the covers back over his head. "I'm going back to sleep."

"Alright, Alexander. I'm downstairs if you need anything."

Martha walked out of the room and closed the door behind her.