20

Not exactly a trigger warning but at one point they're talking about the Gay-Straight Alliance and why they call it a 'Gay-Straight Alliance' and let straight people be a part of it I hope it doesn't offend anyone. It makes more sense in context, where Lafayette is trying to explain something to John. Also they talk about homophobia a bit. 

A/N: GroupMe is a messaging app where you can make group chats (kind of similar to Whatsapp I guess)

P.S. Holy shit this chapter is so long. I have no idea how this ended up so long. Rest in Peace to my keyboard. 

For the first time in his life, John Laurens was looking forward to going to school.

When he woke up in the morning, he found himself excited about what the day would bring, a great contrast from his usual routine of dreading every second of it.

He was supposed to go to the GSA meeting today. This would be his first time meeting all of the members and starting the design process for the t-shirts.

He knew that Lafayette would be there, but he was still nervous.

It was a strange feeling, really, to be nervous about meeting new people. This was the first time in a while that John had actually cared about what a new group of people thought about him.

He usually just accepted the fact that people weren't going to like him and didn't bother to try to change that.

But this was different.

For some reason he couldn't explain, he wanted these people to like him.

John got dressed in his school uniform and walked into the bathroom to brush his teeth. He looked at his reflection in the mirror, wondering how he could make himself look presentable.

John had never really put much thought into how he looked before. Nobody paid much attention to him, so his appearance had never really mattered to him. Obviously, he took showers and brushed his hair and other basic personal hygiene practices, but he'd never been the type to spend hours styling his hair or picking out what to wear.

I suppose I look alright. He thought to himself as he examined his reflection. His school uniform was ugly as fuck, but there was nothing he could do about that. He put his hair up into a ponytail, trying to smooth it down and make it look somewhat neat. He considered wearing his hair down for once, then thought better of it. With his luck, it would become extremely humid and his hair would turn into a giant ball of frizz.

He went downstairs to the kitchen and made himself a cup of coffee. Once it was done, he poured it into a mug with some creamer and walked back to his room to drink it.

He didn't want his mother to see him drinking coffee. She would always tell him that he was too young for caffeine and that the coffee was the reason that he looked so dull and gray all the time.

He sat down on his bed and turned on his phone. He had a text from Lafayette telling him where the meeting would take place and how long it would last.

Eventually, he'd finished his coffee and it was time to go to school.

I can do this. He told himself as he nervously put his books into his backpack.

I can do this.

The school day lasted forever.

Each minute seemed to last an hour, each class period seemed to last an eternity.

He was used to the school days dragging on, but this was absolutely ridiculous.

He supposed that that's what usually happened. When you're looking forward to something, everything before it seems to drag on and last a million times as long.