17

Trigger warning: violence mention, abuse mention

A/N: This chapter is kind of short but I hope you like it! I wanted to have a dedicated chapter for Alex's first session with the counselor. 

Enjoy!

"Alexander, where are you?"

Alex's heart was beating so rapidly he feared that it would leap out of his chest. He was breathing heavily and his vision was starting to go blurry.

He clenched his fist, digging his nails into the palm of his hand.

The pain grounded him, soothing his mind and body.

He took a deep breath.

"I-I went for a walk. I'm by the abandoned playground."

Please don't hurt me.

Please don't punish me.

"Are you alright? Are you hurt? Are you lost? Are there any scary people following you?"

He doesn't sound angry.

Why doesn't he sound angry?

"I'm fine. I-I'm perfectly fine."

"Alex, look, I know you're upset but please come home. We'll sit down and discuss this together."

This is a trick.

He's acting like he isn't angry, but when I get home he'll show me how angry he really is.

That has to be it.

This has to be a trick.

"Are you alright to get home? Do you need me to come get you?"

"I'll be fine. I'm almost home."

Alex felt sick to his stomach.

His head was pounding. His heart was racing.

He felt like he was either about to vomit or pass out, and he couldn't decide which of those options was more unpleasant.

Alex considered running away.

He considered turning his phone off and leaving it on the side of the road and running away to start a new life somewhere far away where the Washingtons could never find him.

But he knew that that was unrealistic.

He was sixteen years old. He had no idea where he was, no idea where to go, and no money to get there.

If he tried to flee, the Washingtons would come looking for him.

And Alex could only imagine the punishments he would have to endure if they caught him.

Bracing himself for the worst, Alex started the walk back to the Washingtons' house.

Alex was shaking with fear as he stood on the front porch.

He lifted his hand to knock on the door, but at the last minute he lost his nerve and his hand fell back to his side.

He couldn't bring himself to do it.

He couldn't bring himself to face the Washingtons.

His mind was racing, imagining all of the horrible things they would do to him, remembering each of the punishments he'd faced in the past with the foster families and trying to figure out which one the Washingtons would pick.

Will they lock me in my room? Will they starve me? Will they stop me from going to school? Will they send me back to Nevis? Will they throw me out of the house and leave me to live on the streets? Will they-