26

Trigger warning: Abuse mention, drug mention, offensive slurs

A/N: Sorry for the late chapter I was studying for the AP Biology exam.

“So, Alexander, how has your week been?" 

Alex sat on the couch of Petra's office. He was nervous, more nervous than he'd ever been in his entire life. 

For some inexplicable reason, he was more nervous to tell Petra that he and John were dating than he'd been to actually tell John that he liked him. 

He'd spent hours lying awake last night wondering if he should tell her. 

Should I really do this? Is this really a good idea? How do I know that this won't end badly? 

No. He'd told himself. I have to do this. If I want to get over my fear of trusting people, I have to do this. 

"It's been good." Alex said. "Really good." 

"I'm so glad to hear that! Do you want to tell me what's made this week so good?" 

"I… uh…" Alex shifted uncomfortably. 

"Do you not want to talk about it? It's okay if you don't."

"No, I do, but… you're not going to tell the Washingtons, are you?"

"I'm legally not allowed to tell your parents what you tell me unless you tell me that either you're planning to hurt yourself, you're planning to hurt someone else, or someone else is planning to hurt you."

If only John's counselor had been the same way. 

"Okay, well…" Alex took a deep breath. "You know my friend John who I told you about?"

"Yes, the one who likes to draw." 

Alex took a deep breath. 

There's no going back now. 

"Well, we're dating now." 

Petra smiled. "That's wonderful, Alex! I'm so happy for you!" 

Alex couldn't help but smile. "I'm happy too." 

"Have you ever dated anyone before?" Petra asked. 

Alex shook his head. "I don't really know how relationships work. Neither does John. We're just going to figure things out together."

Petra nodded. "Unfortunately, many people, especially people your age, don't realize that relationships do require effort. They think that once they start dating everything will be perfect. They think that being in a relationship will fix all their problems and they'll just skip off into the sunset together without a care in the world. Relationships aren't perfect. If you want things to work out with someone, you need to put in effort." 

"I don't know much about relationships, but I'm willing to put in the effort. John is worth it." 

Petra smiled. “That’s a lovely sentiment, Alex. Though, if you don’t mind me asking, why don’t you want the Washingtons to know that you and John are dating?” 

Alex shifted uncomfortably. “I’m not sure how they feel about…. Boys who like boys.” 

“Let me guess, you’re afraid that they won’t approve and they’ll do something bad to you because of it.” 

Alex nodded. “Let me guess, hypervigilance?” 

Petra smiled. “You’re a fast learner, Alexander. But let me ask you this: why do you think that the Washingtons won’t approve?”