19

Trigger warning: offensive slurs, death mention 

A/N: What time is it? Character development time!

Enjoy!

John didn't want to go to English today.

Granted, he didn't particularly want to English any day (or any other class, for that matter), but that day in English John had a quiz.

A quiz that he wasn't prepared for and didn't want to take.

He'd considered skipping class, but he knew that that would just cause more problems when the school called home about him being marked absent.

Not to mention the fact that he'd have to make up the quiz tomorrow.

If I don't know it now, I'm not going to know it tomorrow either.

He trudged into class and sat down at his desk in the back of the class.

All of the other kids were in a frenzy, hurriedly quizzing one another on the material they'd recently covered and frantically flipping through their notes for answers.

John just took out his pencil and put his head down on the desk. He just wanted this quiz to be over.

"Alright, everybody, take everything off of your desks except for a pencil. It's time for your quiz." Mr. Mediate said, walking through the rows and passing out quizzes.

John sighed as he picked up his pencil and started writing. He just wanted this quiz to be over so he could get back to drawing.

John finished the quiz in fifteen minutes.

He wasn't sure if the answers were right, but there were answers, and that's all that mattered to him.

That was the one useful thing that school taught him: even if you don't know the answer, you should at least put something down. Even if your answer is wrong, you can get partial credit for trying.

He stood up from his desk and placed his quiz on Mr. Mediate's desk.

"Thank you, John." Mr. Mediate said.

John just turned around and went back to his desk.

He took out his notebook and began to draw again. He was finishing the drawing he'd started in math class that morning.

He was drawing Alex.

He wasn't entirely sure why he'd decided to draw Alex. He'd been sitting in math trying to figure out what to draw, and for some reason, the only image that had popped into his head was one of Alex.

It was the image of Alex from that day at the playground. He was grinning. His long hair was wild from the wind and his cheeks were flushed from cold and laughter.

He wondered if Alex would find it creepy that he was drawing him.

Everybody else at school found him creepy, but that didn't bother him anymore.

Alex was the only person who he didn't want to find him creepy.

Maybe I just won't show Alex this drawing. Yeah. I like that plan. Let's go with that.

All of the quizzes had been collected. Mr. Mediate was making his way back to the board.

"Okay, everyone, listen up. I have an assignment for you- don't worry, it's a fun one." He added to quiet the chorus of groans that came from the students when he said the word "assignment." "As you know, we are almost finished with our discussion of Hamlet. As with every other book we've discussed, I like to give a project at the end of it. Since you guys didn't seem thrilled with the symbolism project we did for The Awakening, I thought I'd change it up. This project will be a comic book."