9

Trigger warning: drug mention

The day had arrived.

It was Alex's first day at Colonial Prep.

His first step towards his future.

If he worked as hard as he could and graduated at the top of his class, he could get into a good law program and achieve his dream of being a lawyer.

Mrs. Washington had insisted that he went to bed early the night before, saying that he should be well-rested for his first day. And so, for the first time since he was a kid, Alexander Hamilton had gone to sleep before midnight. It was a strange experience, though not entirely unpleasant. It was quite nice to wake up in the morning and not feel like he needed 7 cups of coffee to not feel like a braindead zombie.

Alex crawled out of bed and put on his school uniform. Alex smiled as he remembered the 20 minute rant he'd gone on when the Washingtons had brought up the uniform during dinner.

"School uniforms are designed to kill originality!" Alex had said, gesturing so vehemently that Mrs. Washington had to remove the fork from his hand so he wouldn't take someone's eye out. "People express themselves through the clothes that they wear. Not allowing people to dress how they want is taking away their self-expression."

"You know what, Alexander? You're going to make a great lawyer."

According to the Washingtons, they sometimes had days where you don't need to wear uniforms and can wear what want.

Alex brushed his hair and pulled it back into a ponytail (which was a lot easier now that it was shorter).

He sat down on his bed and took his phone off of the charger. He'd been texting John last night about his first day of school.

Turtle Boy: Your first day is today!!!

Alex: I know. I'm so nervous.

Turtle Boy: Do you know where your locker is yet?

Alex: Yeah. It's number 122.

Turtle Boy: I'll meet you there before class.

Alex smiled and walked downstairs to eat breakfast.

Mrs. Washington was downstairs waiting for him. Mr. Washington had already left for work. Alex had heard him at five in the morning, running around and screaming about some kind of "work emergency."

"Good morning, Alexander!" Mrs. Washington said, turning away from the stove and smiling. "Are you excited for your first day of school?"

"Yep!"

Mrs. Washington turned around and put a plate of waffles down in front of him. They had rainbow sprinkles on top, . Something about the whimsical, childish nature of putting colorful sugar granules on top of breakfast foods eased Alex's nerves.

"In my family, it's a tradition to always make waffles on special occasions." Mrs. Washington said.

"I've never had waffles before." Alex said, picking up his fork.

"Never?"

"Nope. At the orphanage they were only a treat for good kids. I'm not a good kid, so I never got any waffles."

"I'm sure you're a very good kid, Alexander."

Just keep telling yourself that, Martha. Everybody thinks I'm a good kid at first. Then they see how horrible I really am and they abandon me. I try to be good, but the horrible person I am inside always comes out eventually. It's like that one foster family said. People only care about me until they get to know me. I make people not care about me by being so awful.