Origin

AN: The entire story is a flashback starting from where it's labeled up to the few chapters. Once that mark comes it'll be back to the present time.

-

Monroe's pov

Fifteen minutes. It's been fifteen minutes since I've been sitting here waiting for Fury to give me the okay. My legs were propped up on the desk in front of me as I looked around for something to do. I glanced at the clock only to groan at how slow time was moving. Soon enough, I took advantage of my abilities and let blue energy flow from my hands to a cup of pencils. I made each one float as I snapped them one by one with the twitch of a finger. My eyes glowed brighter with each snap, giving in to my own power. All of a sudden the door opened and the broken pieces dropped. I turned to see Nat walking toward me.

"Is it time yet?" I asked impatiently.

"No. He's still trying to get a location."

"How hard is it to find the damn billionaire in a bright red and gold suit?"

"Apparently very. Figured you might be bored so I came to see if you wanted to shoot some rounds."

I quickly stood up in excitement. "Yes! Anything to get out of this suffocating office." I followed Nat to the shooting range located somewhere in this building of S.H.I.E.L.D. We both claimed our own booth and set ourselves up.

"How about a challenge?" I offer.

"Hit me."

"Whoever has the most bullet holes in the center gets to stick the needle in Stark's neck. Save Fury the decision making on who goes and who stays."

"You sure you wanna make that offer?" Nat remarks.

"Intimidated?"

"You're on."

We both counted off and went a few rounds. Time seemed to slow down as each bullet plunged out of my gun. I concentrated on my target, blowing off some steam as flashbacks started to flood my mind. Bang. My grip grew tighter. Bang. My eyes glowed their bright blue color. I took in a deep breath and really focused. My eyes narrowed as I shot my last bullet. Bang. As if in slow motion, I lowered my gun and watched the bullet fly mid-air to its destination. As the bullet hit, the memories played.

Flashback

Cold. So cold. I can barely feel my toes but I have to keep running. Air filled my lungs as I pushed passed tree branches that covered my path and I didn't dare look back. Leaves crunched beneath me while mud kept digging it's way between my toes. Tears had been streaming down my face making my vision a bit blurred. My shirt stained of dirt and blood. I ignored the small branches beneath me stabbing at the souls of my feet. I tried to control the heightened senses but it was too overwhelming. Every pin that dropped miles away sounded like firecrackers exploding right by my ear. Even though the tall tress covered most of the gloomy sky, the light that peered in nearly blinds me as if a flaslight was beaming toward me in a pitch black room. But I have to focus. I have to keep myself from overstimulating my senses so that I'm able to escape successfully. I finally came across an open road, allowing me to view a clear route to freedom. I stood still for a moment, letting the rain soak me while I let out a relieved laugh. But just when I thought I had finally gotten away, a black SUV drove toward me from down the road. It slowed as it got closer, so I could only assume they were here for me. 

"Ms?" A formally dressed man stepped out of the vehicle. 

"No, stay back!" I moved my hands up instinctively as blue energy blasted out from them, causing the SUV to flip over to the other side of me. My eyes widened and my heart raced. One of my hands raised to hover above my mouth. A panicked expression washed over my face after witnessing what I had done. I looked back at the mysterious bystander, only to find him slowly inching toward me.

"I'm not here to hurt you..."

"STOP! Don't come any closer... please" 

Unfrightened, he continued to walk toward me.

"I can help you." I furrowed my eyebrows at the words that left his mouth.

"Help me? How would taking me back help me? You're only going to keep torturing me until I'm yours to command. I can't take it anymore, I can't control it..." my voice cracked. But then it hit me, "...but you would know that. Everyone that works for him needs to know the details, right? What is this? Some kind of trap? Tricking me into believing you're the good cop so you can earn my trust? Not gonna happen. Nice touch on the suit, but it's gonna take a little more than replacing your lab coats to get me to play along." I looked around scanning for danger. My anxiety increased at the sight of more black SUV's pulling up.

"No-no-no. No tricks, this is S.H.I.E.L.D. We can help you. Whoever you're running from can't hurt you anymore." The man reassured. Another bald man with an eyepatch made his way toward me with a gun.

"Step away from my agent or I will shoot."

"It's okay. She's just a kid." The man defended.

"We heard the distress signal." The bald man stated confused at the crushed vehicle across.

"She's enhanced. From what I've seen, this is new to her." I tilted my head in confusion, unable to understand why they're still sticking to the story. Aren't they... part of them. What if he was telling the truth... A woman then came out of the vehicle.

"Sir?" She questioned with her hand gripping at her gun tucked away in her belt .

"I got it." He yelled back and then turned back to the agent in front of me, lowering his gun. "Is she alone?"

"Yes," I answered for the agent. "I escaped a facility that's been tormenting me for years." I took a leap of faith. If this is the one chance I've found people that can keep me hidden while still knowing what I can do, I'm not losing it. "Who are you?"

The agent turned to me, "I'm Agent Phil Coulson with the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Divisions. The man with the eyepatch is Nick Fury and the woman standing near the vehicle is Agent Maria Hill. We specialize in training in combat and helping others control their abilities. As well as occasionally taking out some bad guys."

"What if... what I have is rare?"

"We'll try our best." Fury speaks. Good enough for me. I don't know if I should be trusting these people to take me in, but I bet it's better than where I was being held. I hopped in the SUV and let the tension in my body loosen.

"You're safe now."

I hope so.