Visions

AN: flashback continued... also graphic photos. Be warned.

-

Monroe's pov

I made my way to S.H.E.I.L.D. once I was sure Tony was gone. I left a note for Happy saying that I went out to celebrate my birthday. I pulled up to headquarters and plopped down on Fury's desk chair. 

"Monroe, get off my damn desk." Fury demands. I lift my head up lazily to his direction where he stood at the door.

"I'm here to give my weekly mission report." I sigh dramatically. I'm exhausted from keeping up the charades with Tony. I stand, settling down on the chair across Fury's desk.

"Enlighten me."

"Stark is still a handful, but I'm dealing per usual. He just took a flight to Afghanistan for his weapons presentation to our defenders. A shipment was made for the occasion. He's alive and hasn't changed a bit. There's just one thing I can't quite figure out."

"And that is?"

"My fangs. We both know that the only time I can't control when they grow is when I'm in near danger or someone I-" Realization hit at this moment. Only ever do my fangs grow instinctively to warn me of danger upon myself or another I truly care about. Care is an understatement quite frankly. Rather, someone I love. Tony started out as someone I needed to protect, to someone I want to protect. 

"Monroe?" Fury snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I shake my head. "Sorry. Umm... just danger nearby." I couldn't tell Fury the truth. He can't know I let myself fall for the egotistical playboy, my mission would be compromised. 

"Did you sniff out anyone suspicious?" 

"No, but I can feel it. Whatever it is hasn't happened yet, but it will." Just then, Nat knocks on the door.

"Hope I'm not interrupting anything." She states.

"Not at all. I actually just finished giving my update." I get up to hug Nat and headed out. Before I passed the door frame, Fury called to me.

"If you get more intel..."

"I'll let you know first thing." I nod.

Time Skip

A couple hours had passed and I spent them in the shooting range with Nat. Once I've had enough, we relocated to the training room and practiced one on one combat. 

"Just cause it's your birthday doesn't mean I'm going easy on you." Nat retorts.

"Was hoping you wouldn't." She throws a punch but misses terribly as I kick her leg causing her to fall back. Before I could pin her, she does a backward roll and lands on her feet. There was a moment before she jabbed my side. I hunched over from the pain, allowing her to swing her leg behind my knees and push me down to the floor.

"Pinned. You're rusty."

"Maybe," I use her gloating as an opportunity to wrap my leg under/around her waist and flip us over. "Maybe not."  

I help her up and we both take a water break.  After setting down my bottled water, I join Natasha on the mat for round two. A sudden piercing headache emerges, causing me to drop down to my knees in agony. 

"Jess?!" Nat calls out. My fangs bare and my eyes start to glow a brighter blue. She crouches down to my level and places a hand on my arm. This causes me to look her in the eye and create a vision for her to see as I do. I watch her eyes change to the blue that matches my own before flashes of Stark covered in blood appear.