Hammer Tech

AN: Pepper Potts will now be entering the story, but will not interfere with the storyline.

Monroe's pov

My assigned flight was canceled after making arrangements with a Virginia Potts. She had mentioned calling her Pepper as a preference. Running a company isn't what I was made to do. As CEO, I've decided to promote one of our best employees of Stark Industries. I'll update Tony when I have the chance, but I have a real job to do. I'm gonna need all the time I can get to defend the world.

"It was a pleasure to meet with you, Ms. Potts."

"The pleasure is mine. I won't let you or Mr. Stark down. The company will be safe in my hands."

"I'm sure it will." I sent a smile as she finished signing some paperwork.

Time Skip

"Suit up."

"So it's been done?" Nat asks.

"Yeah. As much as I appreciate his offer, sitting behind a desk all day is not the way to go. I'm with S.H.I.E.L.D. for the long run. No distractions."

"Speaking of distractions-"

"Nat, I promise I'll do girl talk later," I interrupt with a sarcastic tone. "but something big is about to happen and I'm not gonna stand here and wait for someone to get hurt."

"And by someone you mean-"

"Yes. Let's go."

Romanoff and I head to the car in which Happy drives us to Stark Expo-like event. Happy has pretty much figured out who I am and what I do, and he has chosen to keep quiet for my sake. However, I prefer to communicate through thoughts.

'Pack your suit?'

'Yes, mom.'

'Nat, don't start'

As we're dropped off, Nat takes the bag with our suits and opens my door to keep her cover.

"I'll keep the car down here, all right?"

"Thank you, Happy." With that, Nat and I head upstairs. We eventually found our seats, but this man could not keep my interest. At least not until he mentioned the new face of the United States military. The crowd cheered as the Hamme Drones were introduced. Pathetic. This is Stark's technology dumbed down to another level. Nat and I shared a look that definitely gave away our confusion. How did he even get in contact with it? By instinct, I grabbed Natasha's hand and squeezed tightly. Luckily all the lights were enough to bring attention away from my glowing eyes.

"Jess, what's going on?"

Before I could answer, Rhodey's name was called out.

"That." But it doesn't make sense. Rhodey can't be the bad guy here. He was wearing a modified version of the suit he took from Tony. It was bigger, more weaponized. He saluted to the crowd and the drones did the same. "He's coming." Stark appeared as Iron Man and stole the show. I took a quick read through his head an instantly warned Nat. He continued to act naturally until Rhodey's suit went haywire. As did the other drones.

"It's time. We need to go." Romanoff pulled me through the crowd as the drowns flew up after Tony. The crowd panicked. Glass shattered from the many drones trying to hit Tony. I waved my hands in the air, changing the path of the falling glass. After everyone was safe from falling sharp glass, we made our way to tech.

"He's locked us out of the mainframe." I overheard a group of men.

"Who's locked you out of the mainframe?" I interfered with Nat by my side.