All I Have

AN: flashback continued...

-

Monroe's pov

I stood watching as the plane landed. A few feet behind me was Happy with a car, ready to drive us off. I straightened up as Tony to walk out. I need to see him, to know he's okay. Finally, he makes his way toward us. Rhodey helped him down as a small smile appeared on my face. Our eyes never leaving each other after sending Rhodey to get rid of the gurney. 

"Hmm," studying my facial features, he speaks. "Your eyes are red. Few tears for your long lost boss?"

My smile never leaves, "Tears of joy. I hate job hunting."

"Yeah, vacation's over." We both head inside the car where Happy awaits for a destination.

"Take us to the hospital, please, Happy-"

"No." 

"No? Tony, you need to go to the hospital."

"I don't have to do anything." How could he still be this stubborn?  "I've been in captivity for three months, there are two things I want to do. I want an American cheeseburger, and I want a-"

"That's enough of that." You'd think with an experience like his, he'd change one thing about himself.

"It's not what you think, I want you to call for a press conference."

"A press conference?"

"Yeah. Hogan, drive."

"What for?"

"Cheeseburger first."

Time Skip

Tony enters the building while the crowd cheers for his survival. Obadiah and I follow close behind until they walk toward the podium. That was my cue to stay back with the audience.

"Montez?" I hear a familiar voice. 

"Yes," I turn only to realize it's Coulson. "What are you doing here?"

"We need to talk."

"Not here."

"Jess, I told you Fury would want to speak to Tony once he's escaped."

"Careful, someone could hear you. It's Julia out here, you know that."

"You have to bring him in."

"I'll try, but it's hard to get him to attend to places he should be."

Coulson walks off and I turn back to see Tony sitting on the floor in front of the podium.

"Hey, would it be alright if everyone," Tony takes the cheeseburger out from his pocket, "sat down? Why don't you just sit down? That way you can see me and I can be a little less formal." 

Reporters squat down to his level while he takes a bite. Rhodey comes next to me and asks, "What's up with the lovin'?"

"Don't look at me. I don't know what he's up to." 

"I never got to say goodbye to my father," Tony starts. "There are questions I would've asked him. I would've asked him how he felt about what this company did."

This is new. Remembering all the times we've shared talking about his father brought sadness to my eyes. Everyone remained silent as he continued, "If he was conflicted. If he ever had doubts.  Or maybe he was every inch the man we remember from the newsreels. I saw young Americans killed, by the very weapons... I created to defend them and protect them"