Paralyzed

AN: flashback continued...

-

Monroe's pov

So this is what it's come to... taking orders from Tony Stark. He gave me a drive to input information he very much claimed to need. Tony explained how he planned to stop the company from dealing under the table and find out who's been approving the shipments. The papers I filled out were changed somehow during processing. Before I left to do my new found mission set by the billionaire himself, I turned back to sincerely speak to him.

"You're all I have too, you know... not that you care with the distrust I've caused. But you have no idea, how much I wanted to tell you the truth."

Silence filled the room before I left and drove to the office he wanted me to hack into. Nobody seemed to be around, so I casually made my way in. I closed the door behind me just in case anyone showed up. I sat down on Tony's desk and inserted the drive. I searched for the ghost drive he asked me to look for and opened up the files. Some copies of the shipment paperwork popped up, among with... SECTOR_16?? I knew Obadiah was up to something. I clicked on another file when a video popped up. I immediately spotted Tony tied up and had the video translated. Oh my God... Obadiah paid them to get Stark killed?! I immediately copied the files to the drive.

"So!" I looked up to where the voice came from. Crap. Obadiah. "What are we gonna do about this? Hmm?" I never lost eye contact as he made his way around the room. Luckily, he stopped to pour himself a drink. I hoped he wouldn't come closer and figure out why I'm really here. I could hardly breathe as I waited for the files to load. "I know what you're going through Julia. Ahh Tony, he always gets the good stuff doesn't he?" He takes a whiff of the alcohol and I try to play along by slightly laughing. Obadiah looks down to pours me a glass. I  used this as an opportunity to move a newspaper to cover the drive. He walked closer to my direction and I turned on the screen saver, I caught a glance that the download was complete. The glass was set down in front of me as he made his way around. "I was so happy when he came home. It was like we... got him back from the dead." He sat on the other side of me and I turned to face him. "Now I realize, well, Tony never really did come home, did he? He lost a part of himself in that cave. Breaks my heart."

"Well, he's a complicated person. He's been through a lot, I think- I think he'll be alright."

"You are a very rare woman. Tony doesn't know how lucky he is."

"Thank you," I smile. Standing up, I grab the newspaper while subtly grabbing the drive as well. "Well, I'd better get back there." I make my way to the exit.

"Is that today's paper?" So close.

"Yes."

"Do you mind? Puzzle." He walks toward me.

"Of course." I hand Obadiah what he asks. Before I turn away, I notice his eyes fall down to my chest. Obadiah brings up his hand to my neck, causing me to jerk back lightly as he reaches for my necklace. I smile awkwardly and shove his hand away before he laid a finger on it. "I think I should go..."

I walk out with the drive in hand, chills running down my body. I can't wait to get out of here. I quickly walk down the stairs when I feel eyes on me. I'm being followed. I turn back as Coulson pops out of nowhere to ask about the update with the meeting. "I'll give you the meeting of your life. Your office." We rush out.

Time Skip

I walk into S.H.I.E.L.D. and head up to Fury with Coulson behind. I knock, but wait for no answer and start blurting out everything.

"I'm sorry I lied Coulson," I turn to face Fury, "but sir, Tony refused to meet. I tried explaining, but he didn't want to hear it. Right now I have to get back to Tony because he could be in some serious trouble."

"Monroe, sit your ass down and tell me what the hell is going on."

"He knows my real name. There came a point where protecting him meant blowing my cover, so I did. We had a  huge discussion about who I really am and I tried to get him to come in, but he refused. To prove my trust, he gave me a mission of his own."

"He what?"

"But I think he's onto something, okay? This guy, Obadiah, is building a suit similar to what Tony had before, but bigger and more dangerous. He's the guy who sent weapons into the wrong hands. Tony is trying to stop him. Please don't take me off this mission. I know I've revealed who I am but I have to help him, please."

"Your mission was to protect Stark at all costs. We will discuss other matters later. Now move it, agent."

"Thank you, sir."

"Take Coulson with you."

"Yes, sir."

Time Skip

I sat in the car with Coulson as we made our way to the mansion. I took my phone out to call Tony to update him. He picked up but didn't say anything. The line went dead. A  sudden sharp pain coursed through my head. I screamed in agony with fangs baring full length. Blood dripped down from my left ear.

"Jess?! What's going on??" Coulson pulled over immediately.

"T-Tony..." was all I could make out. I sat there in throbbing pain.

"Jess, talk to me."

My fists and jaw were clenched as I clutched at my chest. I felt like my heart had been ripped out of my chest. Tony's arc reactor must have been removed. Sweat began forming on my forehead as I tried to form words, but the pain was overwhelming.

"What's causing this? Jess?!"

What are we going to do now?