The Beginning of a Family

Zoey was glad that they were able to defeat Sendak and that Lance would be healed by tomorrow. However, the battle with Sendak kept her from getting some rest. She knew about the deaths of her father's friends which caused her father to leave the Galra empire. But she wished that he never left her and her mother. Sighing, Zoey put on her shoes and her sweater. Yukiko jumped onto her shoulder before leaving her room. Just when the door opened, Shiro and Pidge were standing in front of the door.

"Shiro, Pidge, what are you two doing up?" Zoey asked.

"We could ask you the same thing, Zoey." Shiro said.

"I suppose so," Zoey sighed.

"But what are you doing up?" Pidge asked.

"Can't sleep." Zoey answered.

"Us neither." Shiro replied.

"We need to ask you something, Zoey." Pidge said.

"Okay then, follow me." Zoey replied before getting out of her room and headed towards the exit of the castle. Shiro and Pidge followed Zoey out of the castle, down the rocks, and onto the sandy shore of the castle.

"What is it that you want to ask me?" Zoey's back was turned towards them as she walked ahead of the two.

"What did Sendak mean that you're the daughter of 'that traitor'?" Shiro asked. Zoey stopped in her steps along with Shiro and Pidge.

"Zoey, are you...part Galra?" Pidge hesitantly asked. There was a moment of silence between the three.

"Yes," Zoey turned towards them, "I am part Galra."

"How?" Pidge asked. Zoey sighed once more.

"I guess I have to start from the beginning, huh?" Zoey asked before sitting down in the sand. Shiro walked over and sat on her left side while Pidge went to her right.

"My mom, Sarah Ellis, was born in Fairlee, Vermont. She was a tea maker and hoped to become a doctor with all of the herbs and plants that she collected. Thanks to some of her old friends, she made monthly trips to China to find herbs for tea and medicine. One late afternoon, as she was hiking with my aunt and uncle in the forest near Lake Morey, my mom saw something fall from the sky and she knew that it was no shooting star. So they decided to see what it was. When they got there, they saw a strange ship in a crater. She went in first to explore the ship, then she found a man inside. Knowing how concern and thoughtful as my mom was, my aunt and uncle helped her bring the person to her home. As she nursed him, the man introduced himself as Jared, a Galra hybrid who went rogue from his cruel lord. Once Jared got better, she taught him everything about Earth while he taught her a few things about himself. In the middle of it all, the two fell in love. Then they got married and later they had me." Zoey paused as pulled her knees close to her chest with a soft smile, "But when I was nine, he left me and my mom."

"Why did he leave?" Pidge questioned.

"One day, my dad's brother showed up and he said that his technician skills were needed in the rebellion against Zarkon." Zoey responded.

"But why didn't he just bring you along?" Shiro asked.

"My dad didn't want mom and I to get caught up in the war. He didn't want to put his family in jeopardy." Tears gathered in the corner of Zoey's eyes, "Believe me, he wanted to stay with us."

"So he left in order to protect you?" Shiro asked in a downcast tone.

"Yeah." Tears started falling down Zoey's cheeks as she tightly closed her eyes. Shiro and Pidge's eyes widened with shock as Zoey was crying. They didn't think that she would break down soon after the story of her parents. Pidge wrapped her arms around Zoey and then Shiro wrapped his around the two girls. Yukiko squeezed in between Shiro and Zoey's shoulder and rubbed her cheek against Zoey's.

"We're so sorry about your parents, Zoey." Shiro whispered into Zoey's ear as she began to tremble.

"I-I miss them s-s-so m-much." Zoey stuttered as more tears fell from her topaz eyes.

"We know." Pidge said, "But I know that your dad is still out there somewhere missing you just as much, Zoey."

"You think so?" Zoey whispered.

"I know so." Pidge whispered back in a soft tone.

"Don't worry, you'll see him again soon." Shiro said with a gentle tone.

"Thanks, you guy and girl." Zoey mumbled. The two continued to hug Zoey until she'll be ready to stand up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the three paladins didn't know at that time was that someone was listening in on their conversation. The person was shocked about Zoey's parentage. But the person was even more shocked that Zoey was part Galra. The person began to wonder about the information on Zoey. It was true that the Galra empire is causing many to suffer. Is it possible that most of the empire...is secretly rebelling against Zarkon?...then perhaps...perhaps some Galra aren't like Zarkon. The person twirled his mustache at the thought.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter.

- Brad Henry