twenty-seven

iris

iris

iris | jay

My mum finds me slumped face down into my pillow. "What in the world are you doing? Something come up with your new friend?"

I don't hesitate to shoot her a glare and she chuckles.

"What's up?" she asks.

"The ceiling," I sign back almost automatically.

"Haha. You're so funny." She shoves me over. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." My arm feels tired, and it drops back onto the bed like a stone.

My mum lets out a thoughtful hum before she moves to mimic my position. "You know, I can see why you'd this. It's quite comfortable."

A smile worms its way into my face. "It really is."

"But that doesn't mean I don't know when my daughter is feeling mopey," she says. "So, tell me, what happened now?"

I don't answer and she sighs.

"Does it have anything to do with your little friend?" she asks. "Yes or no?"

"Yes."

She chuckles. "Now we're getting somewhere. What about him?"

"What does it feel like to have a crush?" I ask, my face flushing.

My bed shakes as the woman next to me all but squeals. "I never thought this day would come!" she yells. "This is-" She fakes a sniffle. "My proudest moment."

"Mum!"

"Okay! Just let me process this magical moment," she says. "My Iris has a crush. I thought I was never going to have grandkids."

I shoot her a dirty look.

"What?" she exclaims. "You're so antisocial, what was I supposed to think?"

"Mum, how can I be social? I literally can't talk."

She rolls her eyes. "That shouldn't stop you from being social. But, I see your point."

My bed bounces as she sits up abruptly, her eyes alight. "So you have a crush on that boy, what's his name, Jay?"

"I don't even know," I wail.