fourty-one

Iris

Iris

iris | jay

"I'm so sorry," Jay says immediately. His warm brown eyes search for mine and I can't help but melt under his gaze.

"It's ok." I flash a smile. I was used to it. After I had lost my voice, I had been pulled out of a school for more reasons than convenience. Kids weren't the most accepting of disabilities or more simply, people that were different.

I would be lying to say that it hurt, but not as much. It was almost expected for people to react that way. In fact, Jay had to be one of the few people who didn't.

"People just don't know how to act around me," I write. "I get that it can be a bit weird and surprising."

"It shouldn't need to be weird or surprising," Jay mutters under his breath. "People are idiots."

I smile. "Now you can see why I avoid all social interactions?"

"Because people are idiots or because they react like that?" he asks.

"Both."

My fingers tap absentmindedly on the window. "I don't know how you manage to deal with them."

"Me neither." Jay looks over at me. "Did you want to eat anywhere in particular?"

"McDonalds?"

Jay blinks. "You wanna go there? I can take you somewhere fancier-"

I shake my head, smiling. "I know, but I kinda just want to eat junk. Also, you ever have those days where you just sit and go like frick this, Imma just leave and go to McDonalds?"

"Yeah."

"Well, today is one of those days." The cold glass presses against my cheek as I lean my head against the door.

Jay nods understandingly, his grin only growing wider. "Alright, let's go. Also, if you ever see Kaia again, tell her that McDonald's has the best fries. I need to win that argument."

"Well, duh. Of course, I will. Where else would you get fries from?"

"Exactly! She still says Wendy's."

I make a face, and find the exact expression mirrored on Jay's features.

I didn't know why, but knowing that he had the same taste in food as me made everything a million times better.

. . .

"I don't wanna go back to school," Jay says, stuffing another fry in his mouth. "Maybe I should just stay out here. It's a much better alternative."

"Well, I have to do my homework," I write. Yawning, I feel the warmth of the sun making me more than a little drowsy. Maybe, it hadn't been the best idea to stay up till 1 in the morning thinking about Jay, but what was a girl to do? It wasn't my fault that he had decided to kiss me that day. 

Always observant, Jay immediately asks, "Are you tired? I can take you home."

"No, it's fine. I can make it." As I'm typing, I fight back another yawn before finally giving in. "I mean, I think I can make it."

"You sure?" He feeds me a fry before leaning his head on my shoulder. "Sleep."

Just the word makes me tired. 

I can feel Jay's body shake as he laughs softly. "You're too tired. I'm driving you back."

"But it's my car. How will you get back to school?"

"I'll get James to pick me up," he says. 

I think for a moment before finally giving in. "Alright."

Jay pauses for a moment to eat one last fry before he gets out to switch seats with me. Within moments, my eyes start closing. The small bumps on the road were strangely lulling and within moments I was fast asleep.

The next time I open my eyes, I find myself on my couch. 

It takes me a moment to remember what exactly I had been doing before, but once I do, a small smile tugs at the corner of my lips. 

Shifting, I hear a piece of paper crackling. I quickly roll back and hold up the small scrap to read the small words.

You fell asleep, and I couldn't bring myself to wake you up. You looked so peaceful. Also, I took the opportunity to actually stare at you for longer than five seconds because it would be weird if I did that when you were awake. Actually, it's kinda weird that I did that in your sleep. I wish I didn't write that, but it's in pen and I refuse to cross things out. But, I mean, let's be honest. Who wouldn't want to stare at you? You're gorgeous.

I wish I got to say bye to you. I'll see you later today though! Also, your mum is both amusing and terrifying. I don't know how she pulls off those looks. She looks like she wants to murder me and hug me. Maybe she'll murder me by hugging me. You know, those things happen.

I smile, hugging the note to my chest. 

Why was it that even when he wasn't here, he found a way to be there?

. . .

i can't write. i swear. wtf.

thank you so much for reading! if you enjoyed, please vote, leave a comment and i'll see ya later!

~ Jells ♥