twenty-nine

Iris

Iris

iris | jay

"So that's where you two have been hiding all this time," Jay says from behind us.

I quickly spin around to face him while Kaia only leans her head back to look up at him. "Yeah, we didn't want to see your stupid face," she says teasingly, sticking out her tongue.

"Meanie." He gives her an affectionate look before taking a seat next to us. "Mum told me to tell you two to come in and eat. And no arguing Kaia," he says threateningly. "You're eating whether you like it or not."

Kaia pouts and I toss them a curious glance. From what I've tasted, Fiora's food was amazing.

My new friend notices my look and winces. "I-" She hesitates. "I was an anorexic," she explains bluntly. "It's still hard for me to eat without thinking about... other things."

Even if I could talk, I wouldn't have come up with any words to say. Especially having just met her, I didn't expect her to be able to tell me something so personal to her, even if I had bombarded her with my own thoughts an hour ago. "Oh," I mouth.

Jay seemed just as surprised as I was. "You don't usually admit that."

"Yeah, well..." Kaia looks away awkwardly. "She was able to give her own self so easily, and I guess I trust her enough to tell her that. Now I know my future sister-in-law better."

"Hey!"

I laugh. I doubted it was true, but it was amusing seeing Jay blush for once.

"Why don't we just go and eat?" Jay mutters, his eyes not meeting mine.

Kaia giggles before she grabs my hand to help me up. "Last one in is the rotten egg!" she yells as she runs towards the house with me by her side.

"Hey! That's not fair!"

"No one ever said the world was fair, loser!" Kaia calls back, her green eyes sparkling in the afternoon light. At that moment she was happy, and so was I.

. . .

"Jay's been telling us that you love to read," Fiora says, doing her best to ignore a whining Bear.

I couldn't help but spare the dog a pitying glance. All he wanted was food, but sadly, I wasn't quite sure if he could actually eat it.

Kaia and Jay didn't seem to know either, but I could tell Jay's resolve was weakening.

"Jay, don't you dare feed him," Fiora warns and I hide a smile when he lets out a sigh. "Anyways, our Kaia loves reading as well, but can never get him to pick up a book. Maybe you'll be able to do him some good."