Chapter 9

Michael's POV

I can feel his eyes on me every other second. I don't dare to turn around. Body unmoving and eyes straight ahead, I think I might even get a stiff neck today. As much as I don't want to, I feel him from the corner of my eyes as he seems like he's trying to say something.

Don't! Please don't!

But.. I want to know what he wants to say.

Damn this curiosity!

"Michael.. " Here we go.

I pretend like I didn't hear him. But damn this boy who just can't take a hint.

"I know you're listening."

Ugh. Can't you just stay away for once?

"I want to have a talk. Later."

"Talk? What's there to talk about?" Though I do fear the possibility of him being angry at me but I try not to let my voice waver. I too have some self respect. Surprise!

"See I'm sorry I -" The teacher walks into the classroom interrupting what Shawn was about to say.

Thank god.

He doesn't say anything after that for the whole period. I let out a sigh as the bell rings signalling that school is over. Finally.

I was so engrossed in writing the answers and collecting my things that I didn't realize that the class was already empty. The only ones left were me and.. Shawn.

Kill me now.

"Michael I -"

"Stop it. Please."

"No. I want you to listen to me."

I jerk my hand away from his grasp as he tries to stop me from going out of the classroom. I turn to face him masking my fear.

"What's there to listen about? Or do you want to beat me? Snap at me? You are angry aren't you?"

He huffs in haste before speaking. "Will you just let me-"

"I want to be alone! Is that too much to ask for!? I'm sick of you all. Just leave me alone for once. Just let me go!" I shout in exasperation before he grabs me with his hands on my sides, slamming me against the wall beside the door.

"Just shut up for once, will you!? God!"

His angry voice booms in the empty classroom but soon his eyes turn soft as he notices my scared state. Sighing loudly, he turns the other way closing his eyes.

"See.. I know you are hurt. You have every right to be angry. But all I want to say is that I.. " His voice calm, he speaks facing me again. "I'm sorry.

A single tear escapes my eye as I chuckle in disbelief.

"I.. Wow.. Like.. Do you think a single sorry is enough for what you have done to me? Do you even.. Hah."

If he thinks his apology will make any difference, he can keep dreaming.

"Please Michael! I know there's nothing I can do to make it up for how  I've treated you all this while. But believe me. I am sorry. I know it's really hard for you to even consider forgiving me and I'm not asking for it either. Just know that I'm truly very sorry."

Minutes pass by as he just stands there looking at me with pleading eyes. Mine bore into his as I search for some evidence that all this is not a facade. And I do find it. I can see the the guilt. The regret.

"I'm sorry for whatever I've done to you in the past. You must feel like shit everytime I abused you."

Well no shit sherlock.

"And now I understand it. I just hope you can forgive me someday." His heads hangs low, voice a mere whisper.

Can I really trust him? I don't think I can forgive him instantly but atleast I know that his apology is sincere. But still..

I don't know what to say exactly.

"T-that's good then." I need some fresh air and I need it right now. 

"I've got to go." 

I rush out of the class and don't stop until I'm outside the school gate. Standing by the wall to catch my breath, I contemplate upon whether I should forgive him or not. Hell, what is this situation even? The one and only Shawn is apologising....to me? 

It's not easy for me. It's not easy to accept his apology who was once a sadistic jerk, who enjoyed my misery. Maybe he never stopped being one. Who knows? I wonder when he started feeling sorry for me. But who cares. I don't give a shit about him pitying me. 

Agh. I can't. My head hurts right now and I decide to forget the incident for a while. 

I am already in front of my house hoping for my dad to be in a better mood. I open the door and see no one. Is he not home? I'm on my way to my room when suddenly a hand pulls me by my elbow harshly before I come tumbling down the stairs. Groaning in pain, I look up to see the devil himself.

"You worthless piece of shit! You think you can steal my money to fulfil your fantasies and I wouldn't know?! Bloody imbecile." He shouts at me pulling my hair as the pain is just unbearable. Two slaps and a kick in the gut makes my fragile form lay lifeless on the floor as I start spitting blood. 

Numb. It's just numbness now. 

Who's going to tell him that he himself was the one who spent his money on alcohol being a drunkard? Why am I the one to blame due to his forgetfulness? It's not like he would believe me if I speak the reality. But I don't even have an ounce of strength left in my body to do so. 

Shawn's POV

I've never in my life felt the things that I've felt today. Seeing Michael in such pain, I felt all the emotions seeping into me. Mainly, regret. I regret being such a jerk to him and bullying him constantly that has affected him so deeply. 

And it's too late now.

Though I feel somewhat calm after apologising to him but I can't seem to stop feeling restless. There's this urge within me to be on Michael's side and protect him at all costs. It's the only way I can think of to make up for my wrongdoings. Even it's for a lifetime, I want to shield him away from any further pain or sorrow. 

Fuck! I just don't know what to do!

After sitting in the same place for god knows how long, I drive through the parking lot. I start feeling hungry. Hope mom has made something delicious. 

But wait.

How can I forget they're not home? Gosh..I can't feel more stressed than I already am. I don't know what sort of work my parents have that they left for a whole month. I don't feel like going home anymore. 

A sudden thought strikes my mind before I take a turn and start driving towards the opposite direction. In a short while, I find myself in front of Michael's house. 

Well, let's not forget that he has to teach me maths. Or maybe I just need an excuse to talk to him and clear things out.

Yes you are right. It's the latter. 

I start walking but halt abruptly as I see a body lying on the sidewalk. It looks more like a corpse. And somehow, it seems familiar. That checkered shirt, black jeans..

Wait.

My hurried steps match with my heavy breathing as I walk towards the lifeless form. I turn it around afraid to confirm my thought.

But I gasp once I witness his fragile form, the face that I know too well smeared with blood and bruises. Shit!

"Michael?!"

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

QOTD:- What do you think what will be Shawn's next move ?

Vote.
Comment.
Follow.