Chapter 6

Months had past and everything seemed to be going back to normal. Excluding the fact that Eddie had been avoiding his mother a lot more lately. He didn't want the same thing to happen another time.

He had school and his friends all gathered in a group for a project. Pupils were assigned to share a presentation on what's something they have that is important to them.

Friends were in a circle, sitting on a mat. Everyone was chatting and being loud, whereas Eddie was quiet, he didn't think he had much important to him than his family.

"I have a favorite stuffed toy. I think it's important because my grandma gave it to me!" A girl said thrilled. "Oh yeah? Well I have a cool action figure. It's important because it kicks." A boy proclaimed.

They all contemplated on what they thought was the most important thing to them when suddenly, a strange but familiar topic started.
"I have a scar on my arm, a shark bit me!" A boy mentioned quite proud of himself.

"But it looks like you just got cut by scissors-" One of the children interrupted.

"Nope!" The boy replied.

The group was talking about scars then. They were talking about scars they had received and how. The conversation landed on Eddie. His friends wanted to know if he had any scars. They all looked intrigued and wanted an answer.

Eddie knew he had one and a story he could share, but debated on whether it'd be best he tell them. Maybe they'd think he's cool if he had.

"I have a scar. It's on my leg." Eddie revealed a big scar on his leg. The one his mother gave him.

"Woah! How'd you get that?" Someone asked. Eddie didn't know what to say. His mother? If he said so, what could go wrong? Though it did make him feel sick. He never enjoyed speaking of that day and tried his best to never think of it.

"My mom." He replied looking down.

- -

The day went on and everyone went in front of the class to present. Eddie still didn't know what was important to him, and when he was called up, he was confused on what he should say.

"I have a scar on my leg..." Eddie affirmed and fiddled with the pencil in his hands.

"And why is that important?" The teacher asked bewildered.

"That's um..." He muttered. And looked down disputing to himself on what he should say. He wasn't so sure on what was right or wrong, he was still quite young.

"It's important to me because it's a warning from mom." Eddie slightly lift up his shorts a second time to reveal again, a large scar. The teacher's eyes widened in wariness. "And your mom. She did that to you?" The teacher concluded.

"Yeah." Eddie replied. The teacher took her phone from the desk and dialed a number.

"Excuse me children, I'll be back in a bit." The teacher exited the class to the hall holding her phone to her ear.

Eddie stood there in curiosity and awaited his teacher's return. His classmates staring at the door or at Eddie. Distinct words from the conversation his teacher was having with someone over the phone could be perceived. And finally the teacher returned.

She was standing halfway through the door.
"Eddie, please go to the office." The teacher requested.

"What? Why? Am I in trouble?" He worried.

"No, you aren't. Just do as I say." She demanded and walked over to her desk. Eddie stood in front of the class for a moment before he strode out the door over to the principle's office.

He was told not to worry, but he still couldn't help but feel anxious. He couldn't recall doing any wrong. He also didn't want his mother to hear of this misunderstanding. Eddie didn't know of what she could do if she heard of this.

Eddie clasped the doorknob and steadily opened the door to the office. When he entered, he was asked to take a seat, and he followed orders. The principle entered from a small room he was in and began discussing something with the secretary.

Eddie kicked his legs back and forth and waited patiently for something to occur. The principal eventually finished his conversation and looked over at Eddie.

Eddie felt perturbed, he felt as of though he'd burst into tears any moment there and then when the principal got closer and closer to where Eddie sat. Eddie didn't want trouble.

The principle held out his hand for a hand shake, Eddie hesitated, but swiftly wiped his sweaty palms on his shirt and took his hand. When the principle took away his hand, he sat next to Eddie.

"Good evening, Eddie." He greeted, politely and professionally. "Good evening Mr. Harris..." Eddie soon replied.

"How was your day?" Mr. Harris sat straight on the seat while Eddie slouched down. "Good, and yourself Mr?" He responded nervously.

"I'm doing fine myself." Mr. Harris then held both his hands and had them sitting on his lap. Eddie had a feeling this was serious and did not want to mess up with any of the answers he'd have to give to any of the questions he felt the principle would give him.

"Eddie, I heard from your teacher that you have a scar on your leg from your mother. Would you like to talk about it?"