Chapter 9

Eddie steadily sat up on his bed and double checked his injuries, before standing up and staggering across the room to his closet.

Today was a Friday, it was still a school day and though Eddie may arrive a bit late to school, he didn't think anyone would care so much.

From his closet, he pulled out a white T-shirt and denim jeans to wear. Once he wore his outfit, he replaced his bandages with new, fresh ones from his cabinet. He fixed his hair slightly with a comb, then put on his leather boots. Eddie took his backpack from next to his cabinet and held it on his back holding his straps. He soon opened the door out of his room and swiftly made it out of the house before anyone could notice.

- -

Once Eddie arrived at the school gates, they were closed shut and locked. It would've been difficult to get in, but Eddie was sure there would be another way in, maybe if he climbed the fence carefully, though the tips of the fence were sharp and Eddie was afraid of cutting his skin.

He turned to the back of the school following the fence till he found a spot where he could enter secretly. Eddie climbed up the fence and jumped down after reaching the top. Unfortunately though, it didn't go so much as planned and Eddie received a gash on his knee tearing into his jeans.

He reached for his bag behind him to search for any bandages he might have brought with him but was unable to find any. Eddie was still very weak and hurt, but couldn't let this bring him down from missing another day of school.

He pulled himself up with the help of the fence and slowly made his way into the school.

Blood began dripping down his knee and Eddie began panicking. He raised his head avoiding viewing anywhere beneath his waist and ran to a washroom he saw down the hall.  With all his strength, he made it in and entered. He opened up a stall and sat on a closed toilet seat, the stall door closing behind him. Eddie needed to stop the blood fast before he'd lose a lot more. But just looking at his wound would make him feel nauseous.

He grabbed a piece of toilet paper and hovered it over his wound squinting his eyes at the horrible sight. It reminded him so much of his past, it was too much for Eddie to bear. He began hyperventilating and sobbing. He found it hard to breathe and he couldn't deal with it. Eddie was hoping it'd all be over soon, he had hoped the same once before.

Eddie dreaded it, but he also knew he had to get this over with if he wanted to get to class soon. Though, it was extremely tough to calm himself down, blood was still streaming down his leg and soaking into his jeans. Eddie was having a panic attack, this scene looking down at his leg brought him petrifying memories.

He then heard the door to the washroom open and slam shut. Eddie quickly closed his mouth and nose with his hand in hopes no one would've heard him bawling.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" The voice shouted. It sounded familiar. 

At this point though, Eddie still struggling to breathe, pulled back from his hand and attempted to silently cry holding his legs up to the seat. He was exhaling a lot more then inhaling and was sure the person in the washroom with him, would've heard.

"Are you okay?? Can I come in?" They asked. Eddie could see their feet behind the door.

"Mhhm." Eddie replied shutting his eyes closed, he had his head buried in his legs holding them up on the seat with him. He would've wished the person would help him, but was expecting them to so much as ignore and leave him alone to care for himself.

At that point though Eddie didn't know how to deal with how he was feeling. He couldn't care for this wound, his hands were trembling and the more he looked the more he felt like fainting.

The stall door opened slowly and soon enough, the person entered.

"Eddie! You're hurt??" This person gasped.

Eddie nodded continuing to look down. "Wait a minute- I'll help you!" Eddie looked up at them and saw Atlas. He looked shocked but was reaching into his bag.

"Atlas?-" Eddie affirmed, attempting to calm his breathing down.  Atlas looked over at Eddie and saw his eyes extremely red and tears streaming down his cheeks.

"You're crying!" Atlas emphasized with his hand scattering inside his bag. "I got it! Don't worry. Please don't cry, it'll be alright." Atlas insisted and took out an alcohol swab and bandages.

He came prepared, but for what? Eddie was confused but was a lot more worried on his hurting injury.  Atlas peeled open the swab and pulled out a cotton pad.  "It'll hurt a bit, don't think to much of it and breathe in and out slowly." Atlas looked up at Eddie reassuring him and so he put down his legs before shutting his eyes tight and attempting to calm his breathing just as Atlas had said.

Eddie felt Atlas rub the alcohol on his knee, it stung but Eddie was very used to it. Eddie's breathing slowed down and he continued to exhale and inhale until Atlas had told him to open his eyes.

"You're all better now. You don't have to worry anymore." He said. Eddie unhurriedly fluttered his eyes open and saw Atlas kneeling down in front of him with a slight smile. Eddie peeked down at his knee and looked back at Atlas. His knee was bandaged neatly. Eddie felt lucky to have Atlas there when he needed someone. He felt an unfamiliar sensation in his stomach but that wasn't to his attention at the moment.

"Thank you." Eddie stood up and Atlas followed when Eddie unforeseeably clasped Atlas. Someone had actually cared for Eddie and was there for him. Atlas was surprised at this sudden gesture, but soon embraced Eddie. Atlas' face became red.

Eddie released Atlas. "Sorry, but thanks for helping me." Eddie rubbed the back of his neck.

"Where were you? You didn't come to school for a few days." Atlas asked. Atlas hid the fact that he missed him.

"Oh right, about that.." Eddie started "I fell ill and was unable to attend school." He continued. "Sorry, could we head out? I feel rather squished in here." Eddie requested.

"Right! Sorry about that." Atlas flinched back and took the handle of the stall, he hadn't realized how close he was standing to Eddie. He opened it and exited, still holding the door for Eddie. Eddie followed and grabbed his back pack.

"Your jeans, were you late to school? Is that how you hurt yourself, with the fence?" Atlas pointed out.

"Correct, I was a bit desperate to take part in classes today." Eddie replied and giggled. Atlas blushed, he forgot how dreamy Eddie's smile was. Eddie always managed to look strong when he smiled.

"While you were gone, the school planned out a trip. We'd be going skiing," Atlas began.

"like a vacation!" He finished.