Chapter 16

Eddie laid on the bed of the room he was staying in, resting his head on the pillow. He thought before going to bed, of many things. He thought of his future and past, until finally, he dozed off.

- -

Eddie was woken up by the sound of a ringing on his phone, a timer he had set for the morning.
It was time for breakfast, he got up and quickly got changed.

This place was not where he was last though, he was back home. His room looked familiar, but once he walked out, everything looked foggy and different shades of colours.

Walking down the halls to the stairs, he passed by his sister's room then, his brother's.
When peering through the slightly opened door, he saw Erika and Noah sitting on his bed, once again. They were talking, when they would do this, Eddie wouldn't see his mom out of Noah's room for hours. He suspected maybe they were talking about classes, Eddie had tried eavesdropping, but couldn't hear through the door or walls. Everything they were chatting about was muffled speaking, and stayed in that room.
This would only happen when Erika was still there though.

Eddie went down the stairwell, then to the kitchen. He saw Erika sitting on the table, with her head down. She would also do this a lot, it worried Eddie, every time she did this he attempted to wake her up, nudging her and calling her name. Every time he did, her only response was a murmur and now, still a murmur. He left her alone to search for his father.

When Eddie found him, through the window, he saw Jonathan out on the porch taking a call. Eddie was told to not bother him while he was talking to someone, especially if it were important.

"Eddie." Erika called.

"Yes mom?" Eddie responded turning behind him.

"Don't bother you're father, he's busy." She warned.

Eddie turned back to watch Jonathan through the window but he was gone. "Eddie! You're awake!" Jonathan picked him up from behind and held him up from his underarms like he used to.

Jonathan was clearly happy, but Eddie couldn't make his face. It was distorted, Eddie could not recall the last time his father smiled at him.

"Dad? You don't look like my dad, but you sound like him..." Eddie questioned. Jonathan put Eddie down and crossed his arms. Jonathan's face became clear, his expression was showing anger, this was what Eddie was used to.

"Don't call me that, you don't have the right to!" Jonathan shouted at him.

"Huh? What's wrong?" Eddie asked.

Eddie was suddenly pushed into the basement again, it was cold, but everything looked clear. The fog had disappeared.

Then the lights went out. He was left in the cold and dark. He attempted to search for his blanket, carefully waving his hands around incase of hitting anything. He tripped and was on the floor, he grunted and tried getting up, but was pulled down.

Eddie then saw feet in front of him, he looked up and saw Erika standing above him.

"Mom, help..." Eddie pleaded.

Erika turned around and began walking away, into the darkness.
"Mom!" Eddie struggled and felt a pain on his leg. He looked down and saw that his healed wound had again reopened. Eddie tussled and began sobbing.

Again, feet appeared in front of him. He glanced up and saw Atlas. This time, Atlas crouched down and patted Eddie's head.
"Atlas?..." Eddie looked up while being held to the ground by an unseeable force.
Eddie looked down and didn't see anything, but felt a huge pain in his chest.

Atlas stood up and walked away, Eddie found himself free, but didn't attempt to chase after Atlas, he watched Atlas fade into the darkness as his mother did, leaving him.

Eddie was pulled down and was at school, he was watching Atlas and his friends. Eddie looked away.

"I don't want him to leave me. Not like everyone else has." Eddie admitted.

- -

A ringing from his phone again. Eddie had set a timer for breakfast. Eddie got up and sat on the ledge of his bed, he took a look at his leg and saw only a scar. Tears began falling from his eyes. Eddie wiped them off and got dressed.

- -

After eating, Eddie felt full. That was the most he had eaten in a long time. Eddie sat next to a window.
He was still feeling unwell and was not sure of going out to ski. They were in a lodge next to the mountains, through the windows of the lodge, he could see people skiing down and getting back up to the top.

Eddie thought he wouldn't have as much fun as he would now and today, got up from where he sat at and slid his empty plate away. Eddie took out and wore his jacket and gloves from his bag.

Looking back at the lodge from the exit door, he saw Atlas with a few friends. Eddie thought that maybe he could get ahold of Atlas once he was free. He hadn't given up on confessing just yet.

- -

It was freezing out and Eddie wasn't dressed well. The wind blew hard from up on the mountain and Eddie's hair flailed around with it. Eddie was taught how to ski and was ready to do it on his own now. He held tight onto the ski poles and went off with what he was taught.

At the end, it was extremely enjoyable and Eddie chose to do it a few more times before resting.

- -

After skiing down the hill a bit, Eddie began feeling much more ill. He was coughing and sneezing much more, he was shivering and felt like collapsing.

Eddie made his way into the hotel to rest for a while. He was trying to balance, he needed to get to bed soon, but he was also not thinking straight. Eddie spotted Atlas from across the hall, he was unlocking the door to his room and Eddie thought it was a great opportunity to talk to him of his feelings.

"Atlas!" Eddie called out.

Atlas flinched and turned his head looking at Eddie. "Eddie? You don't look so well. You should go back to your room." He smiled and rushed to get his door open.

"No please! Let me speak." Eddie cried out and approached him.

Atlas looked up at Eddie leaning against the wall trying not to pass out.

"I really need to tell you about my feelings. If I never tell you, I'm not sure what I would do." Eddie mumbled.

"Huh? Then say it quick. I've got to get back to my friends." Atlas was looking at Eddie but not in the eyes, he looked troubled.

"What? And what about me? Why have you suddenly abandoned me?" Eddie questioned.

"Abandoned you? What are you talking about? You're sick, get some rest." He looked at the knob of his door and was ready to turn it.

"Atlas... I think I'm in love with you." Eddie confessed, then fell to the ground.