Chapter 14

That day, Jonathan stayed home to celebrate with Noah on getting top of his piano classes. Days like that were when he'd spend time with Noah and celebrate his accomplishments.

When Eddie and Reina reached the door to their house, Eddie gulped. He was afraid of what may be awaiting him, his sister had already warned him a beating.

"I-I don't want to go..." Eddie mumbled.

"Course you don't, but do you think I care?" Reina snickered.

"I- Reina please!" Eddie cried.

Reina flinched and slapped Eddie, her nails piercing Eddie's skin as blood began leaking out. Eddie looked away and held his breath. The pain was unbearable but he tried his best not to appear weak.

"Don't you ever call me Reina again." Reina glared at Eddie. "Now get inside!" She opened the front door and shoved Eddie in, Eddie fell to the ground and Reina entered behind him.

"Dad! I'm home! I brought the boy with me." She shouted.

Eddie attempted to build up strength to get up, but got slammed face down on the floor by his sister stepping on his head, holding him in place.

Eddie was scared, his heart pumping fast and body shaking as he heard footsteps from the halls.

He knew that if his father were to find out he was staying late, he'd be locked in the basement with no food for a week. Or longer, he was not sure of what Jonathan was capable of.

Though, Noah appeared, no sign of Jonathan. "Reina? Dad went out to buy us snacks." Noah looked at Eddie being forced down.

"Oh? He's here too." Noah noticed. He crossed his arms and knew what he wanted as soon as he saw it. "I deserve a prize for my accomplishment, don't I, Reina?" He asked.

"Well yes, it was with dad, wasn't it?" She questioned.

"Yeah... but it wasn't enough. I want something more than that." Noah grinned.

"Noah, what are you talking about?" Reina furrowed her brows.

"Put on a show for me Reina! Beat that bastard." Noah ordered.

"What? I can't! You know dad was disappointed the last time I did! He doesn't want you to end up like mom-" Reina covered her mouth with both hands.

Eddie was tearing up. Memories came piling back, but he didn't want to remember. Eddie thought it was his fault she was sent to a hospital, the guilt of ruining his family was the most painful thing he had felt.

"Then do it for mom. Mom is gone because of him! Our family is ruined because of him!" Noah sobbed and pointed at Eddie.

"Noah, please don't cry! Dad will deal with it when he gets back." Reina released Eddie and went toward Noah to comfort him.

Eddie was free at that moment, but didn't know what to do. He could leave and get a horrible punishment when he returns, or stay and receive a lesser punishment.

So far, Eddie hadn't run away because of how much he loved his family, but was afraid they didn't love him back. Now, he thought that he should run away, everyone would be happy with him gone, he thought.

And so he decided, he'd run away and never to be a nuisance again. He swiftly got up and turned to the door. When reaching for the handle, it began opening itself.

"Dad!" Reina and Noah exclaimed.

"Yes? What's going on children?" Jonathan opened the door and stood at the entrance, Eddie began walking back in horror.

"I brought the boy home." Reina looked over at Eddie, still backing away, fearful.

"Thank you dear. Where was he?" He asked.

"On a date, I guess. He didn't go far though, I got him early." She replied.

"I- It wasn't a date, I promise!" Eddie pleaded.

"A date? Haha!" Jonathan chuckled. "What a hilarious joke." He held his stomach.

"Still, he had no permission to go and should already be home in his room by the time school ends." Jonathan said. "But I guess he won't be going to school any time soon to follow these instructions." He looked at Eddie and yanked his wrist, tighter than his sister had before. Squeezing his still opened wound from Reina. Eddie knew he was in big trouble and panicked.

"Reina, close the front door and don't follow me. I'll be back soon, Noah." He said.

Jonathan opened the door to the basement, and was stomping down the steps. Eddie couldn't hold back his tears any longer. He'd experienced this treatment before and always hoped he wouldn't have to again, but it was right there and then that he was.

"Please! Please don't do this!" Eddie pulled at his arm bawling. "I'll do better in school! I'll do whatever! Please!" He begged.

Jonathan glared at Eddie. "Three days you're missing out on meals, then you will be released and better be ready to go back to school. I can't have your attendance scheduled messed up. We don't need a bad impression on this family, not more than it already is."

Eddie nodded quick. He thought three days was enough to both see Atlas again and to not be served food. After all, he'd been through much worse and knew how bad it was another time.

Jonathan pushed Eddie down a few stairs and began walking back up. Eddie was groaning in pain but had been here, in this situation before. He had snuck in a blanket once, and would use it every time he was thrown in the basement. So was ready to stay the night in the cold and dark.

He took out the blanket from behind his study desk, hidden carefully, Eddie placed it on the hard concrete floor.

He laid on the blanket until he'd fall asleep, thinking.

- -

It was difficult for Eddie to tell night and day, but with the clock he had installed in his study room, he knew it had already been three days. The days felt like years, Eddie was ready to be let out.

His stomach growled, and he wanted food, but waited till his father returned to let him out for school.

Eddie sat on his desk chair inspecting everything around him. He saw a few of his bite marks on the desk, from when he first started getting thrown in the basement. He'd get so hungry, he'd begin chewing on the wood.

Eddie rested his head on his desk as he felt hunger and waited for Jonathan. On the clock, there'd be 4 hours before school started.

Tick Tock

The door to the basement began rattling open and Eddie lifted his head. No one entered, but Eddie was free. He walked up the stairs and made it to his room, safe. Eddie was starved. He had to eat if he wanted to make it to school in time without fainting.

And so, he planned to pass by a small restaurant. He got ready and tried keeping his head up. Grabbed his backpack and went out. Bought himself a sandwich and ate it on his way to school.

- -

Eddie was in the school halls searching for Atlas. Still a bit light-headed but able to move. Then found Atlas.

"Atlas!" Eddie yelled.

The bell rang and the hall began clearing up, but Eddie had noticed a group around Atlas. He wasn't alone, but instead talking to people. Eddie was surprised, he had always known Atlas as the quiet type and didn't know he would find friends so quickly. Eddie thought that maybe Atlas had moved on, he felt confused but soon after relief.

"No one needs me, I'll just get in the way." Eddie thought.

He'd still go to the ski trip in a week, but didn't think he'd see much of Atlas as he thought he would.