Chapter 17

Eddie woke up to Atlas pacing from one side of the room to the other in front of the bed he laid at. He had a cozy blanket over him and he felt warm.

"Atlas? What is wrong?" Eddie questioned, he sat up, though feeling a bit dizzy with his sudden movement.

"Eddie, you're finally awake!" Atlas ran up to Eddie and kneeled over on the floor next to him on the bed.

"What happened? Why am I not in my room?" Eddie questioned.

"You passed out right in front of me. You've got a high fever, you shouldn't be out in the cold!" Atlas told him. "We'll get you to see a doctor soon, we called your parents but they didn't answer. So instead a teacher is coming from school to pick you up. Though there may be a bit of a delay due to the snow. It may take a few hours."

"Oh, right. I had a cold before coming to this trip. I also did not come so prepared." Eddie explained.

"What? If you knew you had a fever, why would you have come?" Atlas asked.

"I wanted to see you." He answered.

"You serious? You need to take care of yourself first! You could've gone any other day than when you were sick. I'm not that important." Atlas' cheeks reddened as he scolded Eddie.

"But you are." Eddie coughed. "I need to tell you something." He said and held onto Atlas' hands.

Atlas looked at Eddie confused.

"Atlas I think I'm in l-"

"Love with me?" Atlas blushed and turned his head away. "You told me earlier, you forgot?"

"I did? I'm sorry. I have a major headache, that is my fault." Eddie apologized.

"It's alright. I feel- I mean... okay." Atlas said.

"Huh?" He tightened his grip on Atlas' hands without realizing.

"L-Liking boys... That's really weird." Atlas mumbled, not making any eye contact with Eddie.

"I- I only like you Atlas! No one else, you are the only boy I like." Eddie assured.

"You can't like me! You need to like girls... Boys can't like... boys..." Atlas said.

"But to me you are not just a boy! You are someone I love!" Eddie expressed.

"But- that isn't normal!-" Atlas shouted, he shedded a tear.

"I am not normal! I have not been for a few years now. Everything... everything has been a mess since what I did! I am in love with you and it hurts so much not being able to see or be next to you, I'm so sorry." Eddie sobbed looking at Atlas with someone Atlas had never seen before, though has been there all along.

"I... Don't cry Eddie! Please don't, I'm so sorry for what I said!" Atlas pleaded. "I- I love you too! I'm so sorry." Atlas cried as his head went down on the bed. "I'm older than you and I'm acting like a child. I should be protecting you from them, why do I have to be so weak..." Atlas bawled, muffled by the sheets.

"Them? Who are you talking about?" Eddie wiped off his tears.

"These gangsters! They threatened me... If I talked to you they'd hurt my family and you..." Atlas admitted. "I'm sorry for ignoring you, I missed you so much. I didn't want to!"

"Gangsters?" Eddie thought of any bad encounters he's had recently, when thinking, his mind immediately pointed toward the boy he fought at the abandoned parking lot a month ago.

"Did he see us together? How would he have known of Atlas?" Eddie thought. "The note!" He concluded.

"Thank you Atlas, thank you for protecting me. Your family will be fine, I'll protect you now." Eddie said.

"But how? Let's just stop talking and you won't get hurt!" Atlas looked up with his under eyes being puffy and red.

"Atlas, trust me. I am stronger than I may look." Eddie reassured.

Eddie slowly breathed in and out, before giving a peck to Atlas on his forehead. "I'm sick... Thank you for helping me though. You're my hero." Eddie softly smiled and blushed.

"I've been here long enough, I'm sure I've already gotten sick!" Atlas replied. He sat next to Eddie and kissed him. Eddie's eyes widened, but slowly closed them.

"I'm- I didn't ask you sorry." Atlas looked away once again.

"It is fine." Eddie smiled. He rested his head on Atlas' shoulder. "Will you be my boyfriend?" Eddie asked.

"Of course- yeah!" Atlas responded.

- -

Atlas and Eddie laid on the bed talking for hours on end. About life and whatever came up first in their minds waiting for the teacher to arrive and pick up Eddie.

"Why did you start liking me Atlas?" Eddie asked.

"I mean... your smile. It always brightened my day, and I guess through the months my feelings became stronger and stronger." Atlas replied. "Too cheesy? I'm sorry-" Atlas felt his cheeks as he reddened.

"No! That is adorable. I would never have known." Eddie denied.

"Wow really? I thought I was being pretty obvious..." He giggled.

Knock Knock

Atlas stood up and walked over to the door of his room before opening it, Eddie sat up.

"Hey, Atlas. Is he here?" A boy asked.

"Eddie? Why, is the teacher here?" Atlas questioned.

"Yeah, Eddison... The teacher told me to come and get him, but I didn't really want to.." The boy looked around. "So is he still here? I'll need em to come with me. I don't wanna get in trouble."

"Yes! Eddie, let's go." Atlas turned around and swayed his hand over signalling for Eddie to come along with him.

Eddie stood up slowly but tumbled a bit, Atlas reacted fast and ran over to catch his fall.

"Sorry, I still feel pretty weak." Eddie apologized.

"No worries! I've got you." Atlas smiled.

The boy looked at them with a look of disgust and began walking away. "I'll lead the way. The teacher is downstairs waiting."

They both followed while Atlas was walking with Eddie slowly, holding his back up for support.

- -

The teacher drove Eddie to the hospital.
They went for a checkup and Eddie needed to stay there for a while. For his cold and a few wounds he had which haven't been properly treated. When asked about them, Eddie responded with fights he had been in and if they didn't believe him, students would back up his information.

Days past after the trip, Atlas would stop by and sometimes sleep overnight until Eddie's high fever lowered and wounds got better. He'd bring flowers, snacks or just talk with him.

Eddie felt better already. He had a boyfriend now, someone he loved, who loved him back.