Chapter 1

Riley's POV

I take a deep breathe as I make my way into the main lobby of O'Hara's airport in search of my ride. There, standing about 20 feet in front of me, is that goofball uncle of mine, or as you may know him as the one and only:"Patrick Sharp. Who's too busy reading a magazine on which he's on the cover of and not to mention the title being 'Chicago's Sexiest Athlete.' " I just roll my eyes at how weird he really can be. After waiting for 2 minutes, he looks up from the magazine and finally sees me. As soon as he had sight of me, his face breaks out into a huge grin. I can't help but laugh a little, at how oblivious my uncle can really be sometimes. I sometimes don't know how my Aunt Abby puts up with him. I began to walk to where he is standing, and as I get closer, he pulls me into a bear hug, and says, "Hey! So,how's my favorite niece doing?"

"Uncle Patrick, may I remind you that I'm your only niece." I say while pulling away from the hug.

"Yes! That's why your my favorite!' He tells me, while petting my head like a dog.

Once again, I roll my eyes at my uncle.

"So are you ready to get out of here? He asks.

"Yup!" I say.

"Wow! Aren't you a light traveler?" He tells me, while noticing that I just have my carry on and backpack with me.

"Uncle Patrick, you do know that these are the only bags I was able to take with me on the plane, and that the rest of my things should be here tomorrow." I say trying to break it down for him to understand at what I am trying to say.

"Whatever, you women need so much stuff! Compared to us guys who, for all we care, could travel empty-handed and still survive." He tells me.

"Yeah, says the man who brought a suitcase full of only hair products, back a few Christmases ago. And may I mention you were only staying for 1 day." I say pretty impressed with myself.

"Whatever." He says sticking his tongue out at me, like a 5-year-old.

I just burst out laughing.

"You ready?" He asks.

"Yup!" I say as he grabs my carry on. I grab my backpack and he leads us out of the airport, through the parking lot and to his car.

"So I hear your out of college, is that right?" He says as we drive.

"Yup! Just finished last May!" I tell him.

"Are you happy that your done with School?"

"Yeah! I'm glad that I'm done with it, but it's been hard to find a job. And as for the time being back home, I've pretty much just been waiting tables. I guess no one wants a woman as chef, apparently not in Calgary, at least." I say truthfully.

"Hey, there's plenty of opportunities here in Chicago! You just wait Missy!" He tells me knowingly.

I just playfully roll my eyes.

5 minutes go by with just silence until I blurt out, "So um, how is he?"

"How's who? You mean your father?"

I silently shake my head.

"I haven't seen him since Monday, but the last I've heard is he's actually been doing pretty well. You know he's been asking for you?"

"Why? Isn't he upset with me, that I stayed in Calgary, instead of moving to Chicago with him, when he first got sick?" I say. A tear rolls down my cheek as we pull into his drive way.

"Riley, how could you possibly think that? Don't you remember that conversation, where you said you would move to Chicago but he didn't want you too? He wanted you stay in Calgary to finish up school and focus on your career. That was the whole point of him moving to Chicago: so you didn't have to worry and that he had Abby & I to keep him company." he tells me.

"I thought the whole point of him moving to Chicago was for the treatments?" I say

"Well that too! Actually that would be the number 1 reason and then for us to keep him company would be second. Oh whatever you get what I mean!" He tells me.

I can't help but grin little.

"There's that million dollar smile I've been hoping for," He says while engaging me into a hug.

I just grin a little bit more, as I hug back.

"What do say, we head inside? I know for a fact Maddy's been dying to see you!"

"Sounds good!" I say with a smile.

_____________________________________________________________________________

So I've had this idea for this story for a while now and it took me a while to put all the details together but I think got something good so i'll see where this story goes! I'll try to update at once a week maybe 2 or 3 depending on school and other things that are going on. Oh and I hope to have chapter 2 up before the end of this week! Anyway I hope you like it and comment and tell me what you think! Enjoy(: