Chapter 12 - Going Downhill

Brian's situation was unfair.  He didn't choose his upbringing or the ideas implanted in his head.  He was just a kid burdened with aspects of life that he was not ready to face.  However, as much as it seemed like a sad story, Brian had parents who were together and showed their love for one another. They both set a great example of integrity and hard work. He received love and affection since the day he was born. But like normal people tend to do, he focused on the wrong. He obsessed with the harshness of the world not realizing his blessings. So he went on a mission to make things right.

There were many good things in Brian's life indeed, but in the state of kegare even the good things become contaminated.  It would have been up to Brian to prevent it all, but how could he? He was just an immigrant kid from The Projects.  

The Projects, the apartment complex where Brian lived, was not government owned as the nickname suggested, but the rent was very cheap. The buildings were old, deteriorated and provided mostly the bare essentials for housing. The complex was comprised of about 8 apartment buildings. The Projects community was made up of African American families and immigrant families from all over Latin America including Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Venezuela and Colombia all trying to build a future for themselves.  

Working as the housekeeper for the complex was no easy task for Carmen and on top of that she worked a second job in the evenings cleaning offices in Downtown with Francisco. Carmen got many of the  women at the The Projects jobs working for the same cleaning crew.

To Brian's misfortune, Carmen not only got these women jobs, but also free babysitting services. Brian babysat a total of 8 children ranging from ages 4 to 9. When he got home from school he was responsible for picking them up at the bus stop and pretty much everything else after that. He washed clothes, cleaned the house, cooked and even provided entertainment when the kids got bored. He was quite the clown and magician. Oh and Brian loved fire! He enjoyed sprinkling sugar on the open stove flame to see sparks in the air which seemed like magic dust.  He created large colorful flames using matches, hairspray and Epsom salt crystals. The kids called him Merlin.

Fortunately Brian also taught the kids more constructive things than playing with fire. He taught them to do perfect round house kicks and lectured them on how to handle bullies.  He gave them speeches on dreaming big to be immigrants who would grow up to contribute to America's greatness. A true inspiration to this little bunch.  

In the eyes of every parent, Brian was a true blessing.  And blessings from God Himself was all Brian was expected to get since he never received one penny for his services, only lots of thank you's. "You're the best!" they said.

Everyone in this enclave spoke wonders of him.  And why not brag about him? He learned English very quickly, he was a member of the National Honor Society, a good son, a great brother, the official translator within this needy community and the one all the kids came to for advice or assistance with homework. Besides, he had a semi-permanent half grin, half smile that would win people over the moment they saw it.  He handled himself well. He had tanned skin, a well-toned body, very light brown eyes and brown hair. One look at him and you could tell he was Hispanic, but with exotic good looks. There were plenty of young girls in this community conquered by Brian's uniqueness and everything he represented. 

During the summer of 1984, his sister Jennifer was turning four and Carmen wanted to make her a nice birthday party with a humble budget of 20 dollars.

"I need you  to go Save-Mart and buy two ten pound bags of chicken, a large bottle of barbeque sauce, two pounds of rice, disposable plates and cups, napkins, a family-size sour cream, two cans of pineapple, a pound of flour, a pound of sugar and a dozen eggs." The grocery store was a good 20 minute walk, but Brian gladly went every time his mother asked. Especially this time since it was his sister's birthday. The real challenge was bringing all those items home from the store with the help of his little brother who always whined the entire way back as he struggled to carry a couple of bags of groceries.