Chapter 13 - A Burst of Craziness

Life is not easy for anyone and certainly Brian was not the only one at Rhodes facing great challenges. He was surrounded by some who had been bearing bigger and heavier crosses.  

One morning Brian witnessed a display of courageous survival matched only by those like himself. Five older guys who were not students at Rhodes were on campus dealing drugs. One of them saw the new refugee from Cambodia, Sopheak. The new kid's clothes were old and torn and his haircut was at least a year overdue. His darker seemed made him seem Hispanic but with an Asian twist. One of the guys saw Sopheak as an easy target referred to him as the beaner version of Shaggy, then proceeded to push him. "Leave that kid alone man. It's time to go," said the one who seem to be the leader. The guys didn't listen and pushed Sopheak again.

As Brian was watching that bully push Sopheak around, he recalled his hard days in middle school. For a minute he considered stepping in to help, but he didn't. He decided to do what everyone always does - sit tight and enjoy the show. But no one would have ever imagined what took place that day.

Sopheak ran against the wall and bounced back throwing a vicious mid-air kick knocking the guys out cold. He then stepped in front of the biggest guy and punched him ten times all over his body in a single second with incredible speed and strength, seem almost superhuman. The big guy went down to the floor like a string of cooked spaghetti. The other three surrounded Sopheak, but were still no match.

Sopheak kicked the guy behind him, the leader, right on the face without looking and then jumped on top of the guy in front of him to put him on a choke hold. A few seconds of that and that young man passed out. There was only one guy left. The guy took out a butterfly knife and tried to stab Sopheak. With ease Sopheak dodged the knife and took it from the guy's hand.  Pausing for a moment, Sopheak faked a kick and then swiftly stuck the entire blade on the guy's right leg. The guy went down screaming and smearing his blood all over the floor.

Sopheak was so angry and out of control that he went around kicking all five of them while they were defeated on the floor, especially the one who was bleeding. He pounded them mercilessly screaming like a maniac. The scene was intensely scary and bloody surpassing any Rated R film the young spectators had ever seen.

It took four security guards to restrain Sopheak that day. Brian watched closely in total admiration and feeling somewhat intimidated.  The five young men were trespassing since they were not high school students so no one pressed charges on Sopheak.

In just a couple of weeks the Cambodian boy would proceed to humiliate several members of Los Locos and dozens of other rough students at Rhodes High. He was the talk of the school for an entire month. People learned quickly not mess with him. And just like no one bothered him, he didn't bother anyone either. School went on and Brian's journey to find himself continued.

One day in Math clasee, Mr. Smith yelled out Russel for not turning in his Math homework. "Why come to school if you show up for class when you damn feel like it? You never pay attention, you don't participate and never do the work! Are you stupid boy?"

After class, Brian still being the newbie in the gang, made Russel an offer he couldn't refuse, trying to score points for acceptance. 

"I didn't like the way he yelled at you. Let me help you with your homework ese. I'll do it for you from now on."

Russel gladly accepted and determined that this was an area where Brian could indeed help the gang. Russel didn't really care about passing, all he cared about was avoiding the principal's office or getting suspended.

In appreciation Russel said to Brian, "You're comin' with us tonite!"

"What are you guys doin'?" asked Brian.