8

We ended up going downstairs, where Ash and Michael were watching a baseball game together.

"Veronica isn't responding" Harley spoke after a few moments, her attention focused to her phone.

"Who's Veronica?" I asked slowly, seeing her look to me.

"The foster lady" she spoke, making me quickly nod, I should've known that.

"Let me go grab my phone" I spoke, running to the kitchen, where I knew I had left it charging.

Harley.

I watched my phone, waiting on a response.

"You okay?" Calum spoke quietly, his arm gently nudging my own.

"Yeah" I exhaled.

He looked as if he wanted to say something, but his gaze went down to his feet, where he shifted his weight back and forth.

"I just want you to know-"
Luke interrupted him by coming into the room, his phone to his ear, talking into it.

"Yeah of course, yes I'll walk her inside, it's no problem at all. Yes- yes- I'll make sure she gets into bed and everything" he spoke, looking to me with a small smile as I refrained from rolling my eyes.

She pushed her duties onto him.

"Yes, I will text you as soon as I leave, sounds great- uh hu- no problem" he hung up with a smile, grabbing a set of keys from a hook hung on a wall.

"Looks like I'm taking you home" he smiled, heading to the door.

"You were saying-" I spoke quickly to Calum, not wanting to feel rude by just leaving.

"Don't worry about it, we can talk tomorrow, have a good night Harley" he smiled to me.

"You too" I responded before turning to Luke, heading to him.

"Bye Harley!" One from the couch yelled, making me smile lightly.

"Bye guys!" I spoke loud enough to where everyone could hear, making Luke shut the door behind me.

We got into his car, where I buckled up, watching him do the same.

"You'll be my GPS?" He questioned with a small smile,

"Sure" I spoke swiftly.

I quietly directed him through the dark streets, him making small conversation when I wasn't telling him where to go.

"How's school?" He asked me.

I looked to him slowly.

"Grade wise, it's fine" I spoke slowly.

"What about other than grade wise?" He spoke.

I felt myself shrug lightly

"I'm just trying to get it over with" I sighed.

"You can pull into this driveway" I spoke, pointing to one of the driveways to the orphanage.

"You don't actually have to walk me inside" I mumbled as he turned the car off.

My shame was getting the best of me.

"I insist" he nodded lightly.

We got to the door I normally went in, I pulled my key out, unlocking it slowly.

I turned to him before I opened the door.

"Prepare yourself" I sighed.

I pushed the door open, immediately hitting toys out of the way, hearing the echoed sound of kids crying.

He followed me closely as I tried to make a quick walk to my room.

Walking past screaming kids, who grabbed my legs and arms as I walked, I continued, eventually making it into my room, where I quickly shut the door behind Luke, locking it.

He looked shocked.

"I didn't expect-" "see why I ran away twice?" I spoke slowly.

"There's so many of them" he mumbled, making me slowly nod.

"But this is my room" I mumbled after a moment, waving my hands to the bare, dark room.

"It's cold" he pointed out.

"Yeah, the heating system lags a little" I let out a breathy laugh.

"Oh no- that can't be-" "I'm hot natured, I like to be cold" I lied, trying to make him not overreact.

"When's the last time someone has came in this place for a health check?" He asked.

"A health check?" I shot back.

"Jesus Christ"