10

I walked him back to the door where he looked around the messy house once more before his eyes went to me.

"Please let me take you-" "goodnight Luke" I sent him a smile.

His smile dropped as he stepped out the door.

"Lock this door behind me" he spoke firmly.

"I will, drive safe" I spoke quietly, seeing him send me a small nod before turning around to walk.

I shut the door, locking it before exhaling, looking to one of the crying toddlers.

"Come here" I spoke, picking him up, swaying him lightly as he tucked his head into my neck.

"I know, life sucks"

I woke up on the floor.

I could hear Veronica yelling at the kids down the hall to wake up.

I sat up, seeing two kids in my bed, making me stand, throwing my blanket over their small bodies.

I let out a stretch as Veronica pushed my door open quickly.

"Get ready, everyone is running late"

I rolled my eyes.

I threw on my uniform skirt and top, tucking it quickly.

I woke up the kids in my room, making them leave to get ready as I put on my socks and required Sperry shoes.

I hated the school the state made us go to, but it was specifically for "trouble students"

I braided my hair quickly, putting on a little mascara before grabbing my bag and moving my way downstairs.

" please walk Jolie and Marcus to school-" "we're walking?" I questioned quickly.

Her eyes met mine.

"Well you missed the bus-" "it's forty degrees outside" I shot to her.

"Does that look like my problem?" She shot back.

I let out a laugh, grabbing my jacket and leaving.

I held the two kids hands tightly, ignoring their complaints of it being cold.

Half way through a took off my jacket, wrapping Jolie in it since she had less clothes than Marcus.

I felt myself shiver as I approached their hall, walking them into their classrooms, where they immediately ran to their friends.

I pace walked to class, freezing my ass off until I was finally in my classroom.

"Almost late" my teacher spoke as I took my seat, sighing lightly, giving no response.

Lunch soon occurred, where I immediately opted out of lunch, sitting in the cafeteria, pulling my phone out, focusing to my Twitter.

I instantly heard what I dreaded most, making me look up.

I looked straight to where all the foster kids usually sat.

And I saw the normal people, the ones who always bully the most vulnerable kids in this school.

I grabbed my stuff, moving to them.

"Give it back" I spoke firmly to one of them who was holding Jolie's hair tie just out of her reach.

"The abandoned one is here to protect you guys." She laughed lightly.

"They're fucking kids, get a life" I spat to the girl who was basically my own age, maybe a year younger.

"I have a life, Harley" she laughed lightly.

I let my jaw lock as I took the hair tie from Jolie, pulling her hair into a neat ponytail.

"A life with a happy mom and dad" she spoke, her hand pulling at the collar of my shirt lightly, making me shrug it away.

"A mom and dad, central heat, my own bed at night- it's just great, and something none of you actually have." She spoke.

"Walk away" I managed to say calmly.

"Or what, the orphan is going to do something about it?"

Yes.

I didn't even give her a second to think about what she said before I hit her.

She stumbled back as I shook my hand out, feeling the very familiar pain in my knuckle.

"Now, walk away" I spoke firmly.

She huffed, holding her jaw lightly before walking away at a quick pace.

"Eat" I spoke to the kids, who immediately did as said.

I sat beside Marcus, who slowly grabbed my hand, rubbing his finger over my knuckle, making me refrain from wincing.

"Thank you for protecting her" he spoke quietly.
I pulled him into a side hug, closing my eyes against his head.

"I'm sorry you have to live this life"