Chapter I | Part I

"Prince Adrian, are you sure it is quite wise to choose a mere peasant as your personal guard?" William, leading general to the royal military, voiced his opinions on the matter. A pleasure he wouldn't be able to maintain in the days to come. Once Adrian became king it would become illegal to question his motives.

"I know what I am doing, William," Adrian grabbed the pin from his hair and allowed his long locks to fall. He took a brush and brushed away the many tangles as he stared in the mirror. "Believe me when I tell you Vincent Phantomhive is a sight to behold. He is skilled, even if he is a peasant, and I will not have you looking down upon him simply because he has no noble blood. He won the competition fair and square."

"Yes, but..." Willaim sighed. He pressed his fingers to the bridge of his nose and sighed again. "Don't you think your image will be tarnished due to this? Why not choose one of the nobles? I hear Sir Othello is quite skilled in matters of the sword. Surely you can choose him or any of the knights for that matter."

"Sir Othello did not win the fight, did he?" Adrian snapped, continuing to brush his hair. "I am to be your king. You should show more faith in me. I'm not a child anymore, William, and you're not that much older than me either. You'll get wrinkles on your forehead if you keep scowling all the time. Haven't you found a lover or something to occupy you?"

"Romance is not a pleasure I'm allowed to partake in, Your Majesty," William frowned.

"Yes, yes, leave me," Adrian shooed him away, refusing to look at him.

"Your Majesty-"

"Leave me, I said. Go to the tavern and find yourself a nice lass. Stop being such a bore, William dear," Adrian sighed.

"But, Your Ma-"

"Leave," Adrian growled.

"As you wish," Willaim sighed and exited the room. The door closed with a loud thud.

"Must you be so hard on him, Your Majesty?" a redhead poked his head out of the closet. He'd been hiding from the general. Not out of fear or even a dislike, just because he seemed touchy around him.

"That man wouldn't know the meaning of the word love if it hit him in the face. Some things you have to be harsh about and this is one of them, my sweet Grell," Adrian snickered. "Brush my hair, will you? I can't get all of the tangles out myself."

Grell hurried over to the vanity set. He grabbed the brush and went about trying to tame this unruly hair. "You really should just get it cut," he frowned. "I can't imagine how you put up with such long hair."

"Do you forget that your hair is also just as long?" Adrian cackled.

"That is an entirely different matter," Grell sighed.

"How exactly is that an entirely different matter?"

"Well, uh, it just is..."

"Right," Adrian rolled his eyes. "I'm sure that my enemies, once I'm king, will tell me that is a perfectly adequate reason why I'm suited for the job. 'Because I just am.'"

"Anyway," Grell attempted to change the subject, "tell me about this Vincent Phantomhive. Is he cute?"

"Grell, darling, you know I love you, and you also know that I can't tell you if a man is cute or not. I'm the next in line for the throne. I must be perfectly attracted to women."

"Oh dear, he is a real looker, isn't he?" Grell placed his hand on his cheek. "I'd love to meet him."

The door burst open, nearly smacking the wall with how fast it moved. William glared at Grell, grabbing him by the hair and dragging him out. "I've told you time and time again not to disturb the prince," he began his lecture.

"Goodbye, my love," Grell shed a tear as he was dragged to his demise.

"I shall always miss you, my darling," Adrian blew a kiss.