Chapter I | Part VI

Vincent hurried to the castle, searching for Grell, only to realize the riding excursion had ended. Without an alibi, he should stay low, out of sight and out of mind. However, that would only make him look more guilty. Vincent followed the line of horses. Adrian's face pale and grim. Something must've happened.

"Your Majesty," Vincent traveled through the crowd to Adrian's side. "What has happened?"

"My mother has been shot," Adrian replied. "By an arrow from above. Another Phantom crest. She means to have your head!" Adrian panicked. "You have to get out of here. Quickly!"

"Your Majesty, what good would running do?"

"It'll save your life."

"Yes, but it will tarnish my image further. Please have a bit of faith."

"Get away from my son you scoundrel," the Queen's voice boomed. "You're the one that has done this to me, haven't you? Shooting my shoulder while we ride. Even after we trusted you with your advice. How despicable your kind are. Guards," she gestured to Vincent. "Lock him away in the dungeon. It's not safe with him around. Sir Othello, you are my son's new personal guard until further notice."

"Your Majesty," Vincent whispered to Adrian as the guards made their way to him. "Don't eat food unless it is personally given to you by Grell. No one else. Even then, have him eat it before you do. Promise me that."

"Whatever do yo-"

"Promise me, please," Vincent turned his head to face the guards and then looked back to Adrian.

"Alright."

"Good," Vincent smiled as two guards grabbed his arms and dragged him away from the prince. He would be looking forward to cold nights and terrible food for the next couple of days. Adrian curled his hand into a fist and rode his horse away. He was going to get his guard back if it was the last thing he did. His mother was being stupid and nothing more. Vincent was on their side! Or at least, Vincent was on his side and that was the only side that mattered.

...

"Your Majesty," Grell opened the door to Adrian's room cautiously. "I'm so sorry. I had one job and I royally screwed up," he sobbed, closing the door behind him. "He was trying to save me from that handsome man and I forgot all about that order I'd been given! If I'd just stayed by his side maybe this wouldn't have happened. Can you ever forgive me?" Grell grabbed Adrian's arms, tears running down his face. "I'm so sorry..."

"This isn't your fault, my darling Grell," Adrian patted his head. "There is someone out to get us. This is nothing new, I'm afraid. Once we can prove Vincent is innocent this whole thing will be over. Unless," Adrian sighed. "my mother kills him first. In the meantime, I can't trust anyone outside of you, my darling Grell. You shall be the servant bringing me my meals. These are dire times."

"Do you really think someone will try to poison you? Even your betrothed?"

"My what?" Adrian raised an eyebrow.

"She is here. Hasn't she made her appearance yet? Princess Rachel Dalles and her personal guard Diedrich. We ran into them today while you were out. She is quite the character. I don't think I enjoy her much," Grell frowned. "Do you think she is trustworthy? She seemed quite taken with Vincent."

"My betrothed is interested in the man I wish was my lover," Adrian took a step back and plopped down on his bed. "This is becoming a complicated situation."

"I'm scared for Vincent. The dungeon is a miserable place to be," Grell sat down on the floor and continued to sob. He cried into his hands, mourning Vincent when he hadn't died yet.

"He is a former Phantom. I'm sure he can last. As long as he has water we have at least forty days until we worry about his starvation." Adrian sat up and folded his hands.

"Your Majesty," William burst through the door. "Where on earth is your personal guard?" he looked frantic, completely out of his calm nature.

"Haven't you heard? My mother has him locked away. Your wish came true, William, Sir Othello is to be my guard for the time being."

"Nonsense! You must talk to your mother at once!" William paced the room. He hadn't even noticed Grell was there. Lucky for him, he laid down on the floor and rolled underneath a table. William shouldn't notice him this way.

"Where did this sudden faith in Vincent come from? You were the one that told me to pick another guard when he first won," Adrian, intriqued by this, stood up and stopped William's pacing by standing in his way.

"He was the one that warned me of this exact situation. The Queen is being fooled into hating him when he has done nothing wrong. I made it a point to follow his advice but the Queen insisted on traveling by that one tree, if you remember. That was the moment she got shot. We need whatever knowledge of the Phantoms your personal guard has! Killing him and locking him away will not solve the issue at hand!"

"You can tell me this as much as you like but it won't change the situation. My mother is still Queen. Until I become coronated her word is law. I imagine my ceremony will be pushed back with the addition of the wedding."

"Your Majesty," Grell poked his head out from underneath the table. "Do you hear that noise? Has she arrived?" He jumped up and looked out the window. Sure enough, Princess Rachel Dalles rode on horseback through the gates. Diedrich acompanying her.

"Oh no," Adrian groaned. "I'll be summoned any minute to converse with that woman."