Chapter I | Part II

"Vincent Phantomhive," Adrian circled around the man, eyeing him up and down as he walked. "You have won the traditional championship between fighters from around the kingdom and as such are granted with the honor of becoming my personal guard. Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

"It is an honor to serve you, Your Majesty," Vincent placed a hand over his heart and bowed.

"As my personal guard you are practically my personal slave. Do you have any second thoughts about this position? You might never get another chance to refuse," Adrian stopped in front of Vincent and grabbed his chin, forcing him to look up at him.

"It is an honor to be in your presence. I shall try my best, as a commoner, to suit your needs," Vincent smiled.

"We shall see how long you're able to suit my needs," Adrian scoffed. "Don't be so confident just because you won."

"This position is something I must strive to keep. My family is relying upon me, after all," Vincent replied.

Adrian hadn't been expecting that type of response. His heartstrings were tugged at the thought of Vincent nobly giving up his freedom to earn enough money for his sick mother. Whether or not that was the true scenario, Adrian cared little. His heart was moved nonetheless.

"Vincent, assist me with my clothing, I must dine with my mother." Adrian allowed his robe to fall. Vincent did as he was told. The prince tried his best not to flinch each time Vincent's fingers came into contact with his skin. He was too handsome for his own good. Adrian would have to learn control of his racing heart. Faking things was the number one skill for a ruler. This was just practice. Think straight thoughts, even if they disgust you.

"Your Majesty," Vincent adjusted the final touches to his royal garments. "I must say you look quite stunning in this color." He placed his hand on his shoulder to smooth out the wrinkles. Adrian took a step forward, pushing him aside.

"Your words mean little to me, servant," Adrian walked, with purpose, towards the dining hall. Vincent following behind.

"I'm surprised you can keep up with me," Adrian snickered. "You're shorter up then I expected."

"I can assure you, that is the only thing about me that is small," Vincent's eyes gleamed with humor. Adrian gritted his teeth to keep from even thinking about a blush.

"My son," the Queen smiled and kissed her boy's cheeks when he entered the hall. "Let's begin." She linked arms with Adrian and walked him to his seat. It was just the two of them. Adrian's father had died and his brother was nowhere to be found.

"What is the problem? You haven't asked to eat with me in quite a while," Adrian sighed. He looked at the wide selection of foods but realized he wasn't hungry.

"Honey, you're going to be coronated soon. I think it's okay for us to be eating like this, don't you?" she frowned.

"You wish to talk of marriage partners," Adrian picked up his fork.

"Your marriage will be the week before your coronation. She is coming to visit you in the coming week so you two can get more acquainted. I thought you'd be happier," she sighed.

"You've already chosen a suitor?" Adrian became pale. He wasn't mentally prepared for such things.

"Of course. You didn't jump at the options and I had no other choice. We need this alliance. Otherwise the kingdom could sink further into poverty. Some of our towns are already losing food supply. Do you understand?"

"Yes," Adrian focused on the food. It tasted bland. He no longer had an appetite. Thinking of a woman, even a beautiful woman, disgusted him. Marrying one? Made him want to vomit. There was no possible way he could produce an heir either. The thought made him woozy, almost to the point of losing consciousness. His brother would've made a better king. If only his brother was here to take the throne.