The New Assignment

Four days earlier...

*****

      Coming back from missions was always bittersweet. There was an indescribable feeling that filled them when they entered the Temple back on Coruscant. In one way it was their home, but in others it could serve as a holding cell. Going from the front lines to a mostly safe area was enough to make even the best Jedi feel a little out of sorts. Even though everyone preferred peace to war, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka often felt like they were doing something wrong if they weren't in the midst of a battle somewhere. It was the need to be useful that made them so restless back on Coruscant. Although, Anakin's restlessness could also be attributed to not seeing his wife in so long.

     And here he was, being called to yet another meeting to be shipped off somewhere else. He had been at the Temple for almost three weeks, and Padmé hadn't been able to see him a single time. He desperately wished things would work out in their favor for once. He was probably going to miss her again because of this next assignment.

     Anakin was pulled from his thoughts when his padawan appeared beside him in the hall on the way to meet with the Council.

     "Where do you think we're going this time, Skyguy?" she asked, walking with him.

     "I wasn't even aware you were coming, Snips. I don't know where we'll be sent off to."

     "Hmm, it seems like the Council has been sort of vague on the details of this mission, doesn't it?" Ahsoka asked thoughtfully.

     "Well, it isn't really our place to question them," he sighed, rubbing his forehead.

     "Something wrong, Master?" she asked as they approached the doors of the Council Chamber.

     "No," he sighed again. "I just--wait, do you feel--?" he stopped, looking up as the doors opened.

     Ahsoka looked up at the same time, surprised at the sight of Senator Amidala standing before the Council.

     The two of them walked inside to stand with her.

     "Masters," the two greeted.

     A few members nodded in acknowledgement.

     "A mission we have for you," Master Yoda spoke. "With Senator Amidala."

     Padmé glanced over at Anakin.

     "We need you to go undercover on a neutral system," Master Windu added. "We have been given some rather... unexpected... information involving a Force-sensitive child. It seems that the Sith have obtained knowledge on one child and are attempting to take them away."

     "This sounds a lot like the time Cad Bane was involved," Anakin said.

     "Indeed. We believe the Sith have the same intentions. Sadly, the child has already been taken from an orphanage. They took the child while it is only a few months old with the hopes of taking them without our notice, but we received a report from someone else who witnessed the kidnapping. The witness also heard a call made by the kidnapper that told us the child was being taken to a couple on a neutral planet until it would be old enough to be trained by the Sith. However, we pieced together some clues and figured out the names of the people the child is being taken to, and they have deep ties to the Separatists."

     "We have taken the couple into custody for being involved with all sorts of criminal acts, and as far as we know, the Separatists know nothing about it yet," Obi-Wan began. "We need to keep it that way because we have come to the conclusion that the only way to safely retrieve the child is to follow through with the deal."

      The Council members shared glances before Obi-Wan continued.

     "We would like you, Anakin, and you, Senator Amidala, to portray the couple in question."

     Ahsoka watched their expressions change in surprise.

     "Similar in appearance, you are, to the couple," Yoda said, pointing a finger at them. "Important, this mission is. Need good actors, we do."

     "I would gladly accept this mission," Padmé said, but then had an afterthought to keep up appearances. "If it will help the child, I mean. I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to them, and if I can help you, I will."

     "Skywalker? Accept this mission, do you?" he continued, peering at him.

     "Of course, Masters. As Senator Amidala said, we wouldn't want anything bad to happen to this child," he responded, doing his best to tear his gaze and his thoughts away from his wife.

     "You must both understand that there will be a lot of effort required to keep up... appearances on this mission," Master Windu said slowly. "The couple is expected to be on the planet attending various events for the next week before being trusted with the child at the end of a festival. According to the couple, the Separatists will most likely have eyes and ears all over the place for the week."

     "I understand, Master Jedi," Padmé nodded.

     "As do I, Masters," Anakin said.

     "Masters?" Ahsoka spoke up timidly. "May I ask what I am doing here, then?"

     "Accompany them, you shall," Yoda said. "Need protection, they will. Go, too, Master Obi-Wan will. Ready, you must be, to leave tomorrow morning. Use disguises, you will."

     "You really must be willing to do anything to complete this mission successfully. We have to make sure this child does not end up in the hands of the Sith," Mace stated, narrowing his eyes at Anakin and Padmé. 

     "Are you sure you are prepared to go on this mission?" Obi-Wan asked the two of them.

     "Yes," they said in unison.