One Last Day: Part 2

Though the baby had slept and kept quiet for most of the evening, Padmé and Anakin had a difficult time keeping him calm through the night.

     Since there was no reason for Anakin and Padmé to share a room together any longer, the pair insisted upon staying in the living area together where the baby was, defensively saying that everyone could keep an eye on him then.

     Ahsoka and Obi-Wan slept in their respective quarters though, not even daring to argue with the other two members of their group, as they knew it would be pointless when the couple had orchestrated this extra time together on the planet.

     So, it was of no surprise to Obi-Wan when he woke early the next morning to find his former padawan and the senator curled up together on a plush sofa next to the crib.

     For a moment, he looked silently at the two of them who were deeply asleep, reflecting briefly on the countless times when Anakin had trusted him implicitly before wondering when they had reached the point where there were so many unsaid things between them. 

     He pursed his lips, intending to pass by them to reach the kitchen, but as he took a step, he felt a gentle stirring against his conscience.

     Turning back, his gaze landed on the baby, who was staring at him and clearly wide awake.

     Obi-Wan couldn't help it as a smile tugged at the corner lips when the baby held out a hand towards him, and he quietly walked over to the crib.

     As soundlessly as he could be, he lifted the baby into his arms, cradling him to his chest.

    Obi-Wan then shifted the blankets around his arms to make him more comfortable, and without a second's hesitation, the baby was holding onto his hand with a strong grip.

     And that was the second thing Anakin noticed when he woke up less than a few minutes later. The first being his wife nestled against his side, of course.

     Obi-Wan was seated across from them by then, keeping the baby occupied, and though he wasn't looking at them, Anakin was well aware that his former master sensed him wake up.

    His gaze flitted from Obi-Wan to Padmé, and then back again.

    Anakin wanted to say something to him--to say anything, but he found that he was unable to speak. What would he do, really? Try to make up another excuse? Would it even matter? Surely Obi-Wan suspected at least some of his feelings for Padmé, but as much as he wanted to state the truth at that moment, some other part knew that if he opened up his mouth, he'd just spout more lies. 

      They had worked so hard to keep everything between them a secret. He couldn't just give up his pretenses now... could he?

     Obi-Wan chose that moment to lock eyes with Anakin.

     Yet, Ahsoka also chose that moment to emerge from her room, which awakened Padmé as well.

     Padmé was up from the sofa in a second, apologizing with a reddened face for falling asleep on Anakin, and then she was gone.

     Ahsoka was still blinking to wake herself up, and she hardly turned in their direction before asking them if he had had breakfast.

     Anakin broke his gaze from Obi-Wan, eyes downcast as he muttered to Ahsoka that he would help her fix something in the kitchen.

    Obi-Wan merely looked back at the baby with a sad smile.

    Apparently, Anakin valued his secrets too much.

*****

     Their last day on the planet was the most bittersweet. The mood seemed to have been dampened early on in the morning, and it made it hard to enjoy the rest of their time, most of which ended up being spent in thoughtful silence.

     They used up the first half of the day to ensure they would be ready to leave as scheduled in the afternoon, but by the end of lunch, they were all restless.

     Padmé finally suggested one last walk in the area before they would return to the apartment to gather everything and leave.

     So, that is where they were at the present time, strolling along peacefully through the sunny streets and trying not to think about how little time they had left.

     The area was not too busy, but there were enough people out and about that it made it difficult for the four of them to walk side by side. Anakin maintained his place beside Padmé, who was pushing the baby, and Ahsoka and Obi-Wan were just behind them, as usual.

     Any passerby would have thought that the baby was Anakin and Padmé's, and their closeness did nothing to say otherwise.

     Soon enough, they rounded a corner and their apartment came into view once more, causing Padmé's smile to slip.

     The awkward ride in the lift did not help either.

     Back inside the apartment, Padmé busied herself with putting the baby back in his crib before excusing herself to her quarters for a bit.

     Ahsoka then took over with entertaining the tiny human, and Obi-Wan left for his own quarters, giving Anakin the chance to check on his wife.

     He found her standing by the large viewport of their room, looking far away.

     "You know, you used to have to argue with me to take time off to run away together, but now that we have gotten away for awhile, I don't ever want to leave," Padmé said quietly without even looking at him.

     "Well, that's understandable. We've had a pretty good time together here, haven't we? With the exception of a few parts, I mean."

      Padmé nodded, and he approached her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

     "I know we were bound to return to work soon, but it doesn't make leaving any easier," she added.

     "It probably never will," he answered honestly. "But even so, I would do this again and again so long as it meant that I was able to spend time with you, even if it was only for a single day."

*****

     Their ride to Coruscant arrived all too soon, and the ride itself was too quiet, too formal, and too distant.

     Padmé was back in one of her Senatorial gowns, and the others had on their Jedi robes and traditional clothing, altogether a sign that the fun was long over.

     They hardly spoke to one another before the heavily populated planet was in their sights once again.