Full Moon Fest

Doll looked at the four of them appraisingly. Mark Laritzso and Rohja Gtaa stood just behind her, making a total of three unexpected guests that evening, although it would be four if they counted the human man that stood to the side of Doll, perhaps as her date. 

     Each of them wore considerably lavish clothing, some of which was bedazzled to reflect the odd blue lights hung in front of each vendor's booth and storefront for the night.

     Doll was the first to speak.

     "It's good to see that all of you made it to the festival. We weren't sure whether we would see you here or not."

      Anakin nodded out of courtesy. "We heard about it recently, and we decided to come see it for ourselves," he paused for a second, he then decided to ask, "Do you usually attend?"

     "Yes. In fact, Sam, who also attended our luncheon, usually participates in some of the drum performances. You may see him tonight as well."

     "This is a special night for him," Mark added, earning a sidelong glance from Doll. "There are many special celebrations for his ancestors and others who have lived here in the past."

     "Really?" Anakin inquired. "We haven't heard much about the history of the event. We were only told that it has ties to the moon."

     "Well, it does occur tonight due to the full moon," Doll explained. "However, the main reason it is associated with the moon is actually due to the moon's association with those who have passed away here. The festival is a celebration of lives once lived here and their connections to those who are here now. That is why you will see many people dressed as spirits in the parade and various performances. It contrasts with this weekend's Sun Fair, which celebrates the life of the present. This festival was simply never given an official title although it happens every few months and has become commonplace."

     "It sounds very interesting. I'd like to hear more, but it looks like everything is about to begin," Padmé spoke up, gesturing to the crowd gathering around a central stage in the marketplace.

     "Oh yes," Doll conceded. "We don't want to miss this."

     Ahsoka and Obi-Wan shared a glance, and the two of them closely followed their friends as they approached the stage.

     A voice suddenly rung out above the surrounding noise.

     "Welcome! Welcome all festival-goers! We are happy to celebrate another evening with you all! We hope you are ready for tonight's performances, as everyone has been working extra hard to make this evening special. Many of you may already know the story behind our celebration, but for those of you who do not, please stick around to see our very own academy students perform the play of our history.

      "Now, without further ado, let the festival begin!"

     The crowd began to cheer and whistle, and then it parted in two as the first parade set off on its march through the city. 

     Everyone watched eagerly as the first group of beings set out in their ghostly apparel and twirled to the some sort of flute-like tune. It definitely set the tone for the event, and surprisingly, the spirited figures were made to appear quite beautiful rather than haunted.

     Behind them was the first band, with each person carrying an instrument of their own.

     Behind that group were at least a dozen more figures painted white and twirling ribbons that created the illusion of blue flames in the air around them.

     And behind that group were many other assorted forms of entertainment.

     It was a very impressive display of fluid movement, talent, and formation.