Bonus Scene #3: An Unheard Conversation

This scene takes place during the ninth chapter, Catching Up, while Anakin and Padmé are shopping undercover.

Lux and Ahsoka were silent for a moment as Obi-Wan headed inside the store to speak to Anakin and Padmé. Obi-Wan had discreetly passed along the message about the updated pickup plan, but then he had decided to give the young pair a minute alone.

For a second, it was awkward standing there side by side in broad daylight on the street, as they didn't know what to say to one another after the events of the day before.

They had shared a dance... then a kiss... then Ahsoka had ended up getting hurt.

Lux opted to begin with that last part first. "How are you feeling today, Sasha?"

"Oh, a lot better, Senator. Thank you for asking," she answered formally, nodding at him once.

"Of course... I was a bit worried you wouldn't be awake so soon, but I'm glad to see you here."

Ahsoka sensed his nervousness, but she offered him a small smile.

"I'm glad to see you here too--and I'm also glad that I'm awake--I mean--" she answered a little too quickly, but stopped when she noticed he had returned the smile.

Her lekku darkened a little, and she could've cursed herself for losing her tactfulness. Somehow, the more she was around Lux, the more her emotions seemed to influence her words, leaving her either tongue-tied or seemingly digging herself into a hole. Luckily, she hadn't done anything too embarrassing, but stumbling over her words in front of him was embarrassing enough.

He didn't seem to be really lingering on her words too much though, since he was still a little lost on what to say himself.

"That's good," he responded finally.

They both stared around at the beings passing by for another minute or so, until neither one of them could take it anymore.

"Look--"

"Let's just--"

Eyes widening, both of them stopped, then urged the other to go first.

"No, you go first," Ahsoka insisted.

"Alright," Lux relented, grimacing internally. "I was just going to say... perhaps it's best if we don't remain... stuck in the past."

When her expression remained the same, he continued on quickly.

"I just mean that--perhaps it's best if we simply move forward and not think too much on... anything."

"Move forward?" she questioned finally, unable to prevent herself from asking for clarification.

He sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"I had a good time with you yesterday," he admitted honestly. "I'm not suggesting that we forget that, but rather... let's just see what the future holds... and not worry about what may or may not have occurred in the past.

"I don't want to lose our... friendship over any... concerns either of us might have," he finished.

Ahsoka considered his words carefully, and searched his gaze for the intentions behind his words.

She could sense now that he was drawn to her in a way, which felt both reassuring and a little unnerving, given all the problematic talks she had been given about attachments from her master recently.

She could tell Lux was trying not to get her into any trouble though, which she thought was kind of endearing, but she understood that neither of them should probably ever mention yesterday's events again.

However, his word choice suggested... that he may not have been opposed to turning a blind eye to similar, albeit less-likely-to-get-them-both-killed-by-Anakin, events in the future.

Her smile returned.

"I agree," she replied eventually. "Let's see what the future holds."

The look he gave her suggested that he was surprised that she had given him that response, but his warm smile returned as well.

Then, movement from the inside of the shop caught each of their eyes, and they waited with bated breath, thinking that the group would be exiting at any second.

Yet, the movement stopped, and the two of them saw everyone turn back toward the counter inside once more.

Lux gave her a short nod.

"I believe I should get going. I don't know when we will meet again, but for now... goodbye, Sasha."

Before she could even formulate a response, Lux had stepped toward her, taken her hand, and pressed his lips to her knuckles.

She opened her mouth to say something--anything, but no sound came out.

An almost imperceptible smirk appeared on his face, and he left without saying anything more.

She looked after him, still a bit startled and unsure of everything that had just happened, but she finally whispered goodbye into the empty air.

She still had a ghost of a smile on her face when her master and the other two members of their group later emerged from the little store.